Trail rig

So the Ole Red's restoration is almost complete.  Just some minor suspension left and then off to Paint.  And that's a far as I'll take it.

Next up is my Blue trail rig.  Itll be a dedicated unit as its has not title and I can't get one.  It doesnt have name yet.  Just the blue one.

It is an 89 Pioneer long bed with a Dana 44 rear end and metric ton suspension. A non running 4.0 with the AX-5 transmission.

Plan is too convert to 4x4, replace the tranny with an automatic.  Get it running maybe a small lift.  Nothing dramatic.  To start, everything will be stock, open diffs, etc.  If everything goes well and I learn the things I don't know about off-roading and the gear, (and how to weld)then I'll upgrade gears, lockers, etc.

Currently I've started taking it apart and accumulating parts.  I removed the bed and camper shell and sold them.  I plan on a flatbed with some kind of roll bar/spare tire carrier.  Also I'm looking at just mounting a fuel cell on the bed.  Currently has a bench seat.  Not set in stone but that may get sold to pay for bucket seats.  I already have the 4x4 stuff coming from Kody next month.  Hopefully over the winter I'll make steady progress on this one.  If I don't go to Moab in September, I plan to finish off the suspension on Ole Red, then move the Blue One into the shop and remove the drive line, look everything over and come up with a game plan and more importantly a budget

0222221310_HDR.jpg

0523221339_HDR.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

That lift was the reason I built the shop last year.  I've told my wife several times in the last few months, the lift has more than paid for itself.  She's a little skeptical but my 51 year old knees and back are 100% positive!I didn't really care about the building as i had a decent garage attached to the house.  But I couldn't fit a lift in it and the neighbors (and wife) would probably gripe if I installed the lift in front of the garage and left a vehicle on it for a few months at a time.

I love my new shop.  When I'm home I spend almost every day in it just messing around or if nothing else watching TV.