Stalling once warmed-up (after messing under the hood)

Hello all... this one has me stumped and frustrated.

I spent a couple hours this morning swapping steering columns (tilt with column shifter to tilt from XJ). Other then being a major pain in the but with trying to get the column back into the shaft by myself, its done and everything seems in order.

So I drove it down the street to the fast food chain to grab a late lunch. By the time I got about a block from my house it shut off and wouldn't restart. Walked back to the house watched about 30 minutes of TV then went back and it started right up. Grabbed the dog and headed to the vet... 5 minutes later it shuts off again and won't restart. Same story. I wait, it starts. I go, it stops. It doesn't start. I wait, it starts.

My only figurings is that with pulling the air box, and the lower dash bezel somehow someway I missed re-connecting a sensor or knocked one loose.

I checked the vacuum lines (everything's connected, unless that is I swapped two of them) and all the sensors on the lower dash piece.

Any ideas?

1. next time disconnect the steering shaft at the steering box (on donor and truck to be installed in)...it can only go on in one position there, and it's a bit more open (plus the shaft does telescope).

2. that sounds like the ignition switch is heating up and losing connection? that's about all I can think of. when it cools off it will work again...

so put your old ignition module on that column and see if that fixes it.

1. next time disconnect the steering shaft at the steering box (on donor and truck to be installed in)...it can only go on in one position there, and it's a bit more open (plus the shaft does telescope).

Good thought... I would like to say that there won't be a next time, but since the donor column came from a 5spd equipped XJ it doesn't have the shift interlock cable. So to keep it factory-like, I really should swap it again.

2. that sounds like the ignition switch is heating up and losing connection? that's about all I can think of. when it cools off it will work again...

so put your old ignition module on that column and see if that fixes it.

All sorts of things crossed my mind to check, but i didn't think of that. My only doubting thought would be that the engine does crank after it stalls, just won't turn over. It could be that just one of the multiple connections it tries to make is failing (i.e. fuel pump) but I really wouldn't no where to start other then to swap the entire switch out.

Thanks.