AAL

So I'm happy with the flex that I get out of my leaf springs, but I want a load capacity increase. With my spare tools, spare tire, and gas, the rear likes to sag ~1" lower than the rear.

At my disposal I have 4 XJ peaf packs and 2 MJ leaf packs (2WD). I'm tempted to use the 2WD MJ main springs as an AAL because it is as long as the other MJ main. The XJ main (with the eyes cut off) will be ~48"...almost as long as the #2 MJ spring.

You can see here that my rear springs don't have a ton of arc anyways...so I don't think that a 2WD spring would make much of a difference.

Thoughts, comments, concerns?

Use the 2wd MJ springs cut as long as possible. That would be the first choice by far. It will increase your spring rate and your spring life.

A shorter leaf would cause added stress on your main leaf. Using a spring that matches your main leaf legth will extend the life of your springs.

If they still aren't stiff enough after adding the MJ leaf then add the XJ leaf. It won't hurt the main leaf because it is protected by the full length added MJ leaf.

Ok then. Now I just need to find a place to park that 2WD 'Manche where it won't be in the way ;)

Pete- are those 2WD or 4WD leaf springs?

Thanks guys.

This is what I'll be carrying around. That truck box is way too wide to fit perpendicular to the bed, so it has to go this way. In the box I have a complete spare steering system (tierod/draglink/adjustable tracbar), spare front and rear driveshaft, spare front axle shafts, jack, tools, and recovery equipment. Plus that spare tire.

Mine are 2wd (both original and AAL) Shouldn't make much difference but there's only one way to know for sure. :brows: If it's still not enough, you could add in the XJ leaf too, but I'd start with the MJ one to help support the current main

I completed this today. It came out quite well!

Before...

What we have here are 1 main leaf, 2nd main leaf, 3rd leaf, and 4th leaf and the overload leaf.

All painted up!

All assembled!

ALL DONE! (bad pic I know). But what you see is where/when I assembled the rear of the MJ (In the rain :roll: )