Jeep comanche 2.5 1987 2wd

If it can give you an idea, here's what I did on mine. I got an AX5 trans and bellhousing from a 2.5L Jeep TJ. The AX5 comes with a 21-spline output shaft, so be sure to get a t-case with a matching input, otherwise you'll have to swap t-case input shafts. Now, TJ AX5s are different in the fact that the transfer case clocking is different, tucking it higher up near the floor, whereas XJ/MJ AX5s clock them about 10 degrees down. I went with a 242 t-case which is a little bit bigger than a 231 and it hit the floor with the TJ's clocking, so I had to drill a new set of holes that are 10 degrees off on the transmission's flange. You may also need a different transmission mount. The TJ's AX5 also has an external clutch cylinder so I had to get a conversion hose and fitting to adapt to my original clutch master cylinder. So that's the basics, next comes the fun part of the t-case linkage headache, and aslo try to find a t-case with the 4wd switch on the back and not the top... You'll find out why eventually lol!!!:brickwall::laugh::mad:

6 hours ago, Eagle said:

Lo has entendido mal. AX-4 o AX-5 se refiere a la transmisión. El AX-4 es de 4 velocidades, el AX-5 es de 5 velocidades. Son idénticos excepto por la quinta marcha.

Ambos estaban disponibles en 2 ruedas motas y 4 ruedas motas motas. La diferencia es que las versiones 2WD tienen una carcasa de árbol de cola (salida) que se estrecha hacia abajo para permitir que el yugo delantero del árbol de transmisión se deslice sobre el eje de salida. Las transmisiones 4WD no tienen la carcasa del árbol de cola, tienen una brida a la que la caja de transferencia se atornilla. El caso de transferencia utilizado con las transmisiones AX-4 y AX-5 es un NP 231. Pero el recuento de splines para el eje de entrada de la caja de transferencia cambió dependiendo del año y la transmisión, por lo que es importante estar seguro de que el caso de transmisión y transferencia funciona juntos. Por eso es mejor comprarlos juntos.

can i put a dakota 2.5 bell housing on the BA 10/5 transmission to install it on the mj 2.5

7 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

Yes. There’s a couple ways you can do it. If you can find the extension adapter for the AX5 or 4 that mates to the T-case, then you’ll just have to swap your extension housing out with the adapter, then you’ll be able to mount the T-case. Or find someone selling an AX5/231 combo so it’ll be a direct swap in. 

can i put a dakota 2.5 bell housing on the BA 10/5 transmission to install it on the mj 2.5

16 minutes ago, Cagr87 said:

No.  The BA10 has a unique bolt pattern.  Most Jeep owner take off a BA10; few ever put one back on.

The problem you have is the bolt pattern of the engine, not the trans.  The rear of a 2.5 engine doesn't match a 4.0.  So, any trans designed to bolt to a 4.0 won't fit the 2.5.

The AX5/4 were not designed to bolt to a 4.0.  There is your problem!

Dakota designed a bell housing to fit an AX15 to their 2.5.  Jeep never made that type of bellhousing.  That's why everyone is saying to search for Dakota 2.5.