project planning

mj_lover

g'day fellow mj nuts. since spring is upon us, and i get bored easily, i started thinkging about the mj, and how to make it uber-sexy, more so then it is. the victim is a 1991 longbox 2wd, i don't like the longbox look, much preferd the shortbox, anyway, make do with what you got right? well, here's what i was thinkin

extend the cab 5-6 inches, gives more leg room, and looks nicer

bucket seats

6pnt internal cage, needed once i cut the unibody part of the mj

shorten the box, make fiberglass panels, and steel and canada winter don't mix (michigan people know what i mean)

4x4!

4.8l stroker

np4500

np242 t-case

dana 44 rear

44 front?

arb air lockers

3-4" lift

31's or 33's havn't decided

4.10 gears

97+ front end

4000lbs winch

and much more!

any ideas on making this a reality? the body work is the only part that scares me a little.

well, thats my ramblins, later days

is it an auto or manual? on ur lift u can get kits from roughcontry.com pretty cheap that are made for the mj. and they have 3,4.5,and6 inches of lift. if u go with the 33" tires do the 6 inches of lift. and also if you go with 33"ers go higher then 4.10 gearin. do 4.56 or 4.88. :twisted: also what might be a tad easier to do then hack the unibody is to get a short bed and xtend the frame that the bed sits on to the length of a longbed truck then redo your cab. i had a friend talkin of doin this if he bought my 88 sb but he decided not to buy it cuz he wanted sumthin newer.

I see a few flaws like a 4000 lb winch :shock: You winch should be sized to be 1.5 time s the vehicles weight at a minimum. Running the np242 case might not be the best idea, but I can't comment on it, cause I have never run one.

To me it sounds like a lot more work then it is worth... Just my tho0ughts though

well,i don't want to extend the frame, as its long enough as is. 4000lbs to light? quiet possible, havn't fully researched yet, just running options.

i also realize its alot of work, but i honestly havn't found a truck i really like thats extended cab. so...i have all sorts of time, the old man has all sorts of tools, and my fiberglass skills are decent., so why not build the truck i keep coming back too? the way they should have been offerd? i have looked for another truck, but the only thing that comes close to what i like is an s10, but there just not...truck enough.

oh, the truck is automatic right now, but i much prefer to shift myself.

thanks for the coments!

Sounds like you need a parts truck, like a shortbed. If you are ambitious enough to make the cab larger, I'd just bolt on a shortbed and bob the frame in the rear.

Yes, you need at least an 8k winch.

With that much HP, consider sticking with the stronger 231 TC.

i looked into using the short box, but the wheelwell won't line up, there actually very different. you don't think a 242 will hold behind a mild stroker? wasn't it used behind the 5.2L in the zj's?

8k winch, sounds good!

thanks mate

ah i didn't read the thing about bobbing the frame, what is ment with bobbing? i would prefer not to play with the frame to much..just a tad scared of that.