Fuel Pump Replacement

14 hours ago, Ωhm said:

Disconnect battery negative cable. At the Starter Relay, remove and clean all the eyelets on the Fusible Links.

Got to go. later.

Read through about half the 25 page thread last night where you and Eaglescout helped SoCalmanche with his issues, so this morning I tested the CPS as another recent no-start issue I took readings and they were low. Anyhoo, 0v, nothing during crank. I have a Mopar one in hand anticipating it would need replacing soon. But I decided to also check the fusible link eyelets per your last suggestion last night and found this one in the pic fried. A side not as to potential cause....when I first crawled under the truck Monday evening, I noticed right away my O2 sensor wiring dangling. It appears it was ripped right out of the sensor body, so my question is, would/could that have caused the fusible link to go? 

All that said, how do you go about replacing/repairing the fusible link, i.e. is it hardwired at the other end to a connector in the harness? 

EDIT: Researched to simply splice in new links, now I just need to confirm the proper gauge. Also read a good tip to use bullet connectors so if the same link goes bad again you don't have to keep cutting out connectors on the harness side and losing wire length. 

20200924_114937.jpg

Picked up links from Napa today, spliced in the 18ga replacement for the o2 heater and fuel pump, fired right up. I will say, if I have to do one again, I would get just plain fusible link wire and replicate the factory setup with one eyelet sharing 2 links. Reason being, the mounting post on the starter relay for all the things that need to be energized is maxed out, and adding another eyelet made it barely able to get the bolt back on to hold all of them in place. 

Pics of the parts from Napa (picked up a 14ga one to have on hand), the burned wire, and the 18ga replacement link spliced in. I used bullet connectors in the even I need to replace one again I don't have to cut any length out of the harness side. 

20200926_143240.jpg

20200926_213459.jpg