Axle / Gear ratio help?

I have a 1986 Comanche XLS, came with the 2.8 V6 and automatic transmission. Trying to determine which axle I have and the gear ratio. The metal tag is long gone. I believe I have a Dana 35, the real question is the gear ratio.

Only numbers I’m seeing are 35C on the axle

And also 6079

a6499c551ec1c78ee9516014b1b55828.jpg

43a682eb943242f26a4834959c3f8501.jpg

5c6e098fdbe9205105ad7b9a43606bcd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not an expert on these. But if you open the differential it should be stamped on the gear. Don't know if Jeep did it, but GM put a sticker in the glove box with a bunch of letter codes on them. If it is still there, One of those codes tell what gear was in it when manufactured.

Another way is to enter your Vin number in the registry on this forum. You will quickly get a build sheet in response. That sheet will have the OEM gear listed.

89 Comanche
Eliminator
2wd
4.0L
5 speed PukeGoat
Factory Original

for better or for worse, it's definitely a dana 35.  :L: 

to determine gear ratio, jack up one tire, put the truck in neutral, spin that tire around exactly twice and count the number of times the driveshaft rotates.  3 and a half is 3.55   just over 4 is 4.10  etc.

if the axle has a posi, you need to jack up both rear tires and spin one tire around once (meaning the other will also spin around once simultaneously) and count the driveshaft rotations like before. 

26 minutes ago, 19comanche86 said:

a6499c551ec1c78ee9516014b1b55828.jpg

it appears that your prop valve is pointed the wrong way.  the rod coming off the diff cover should point straight up, and the swing arm should point to the pass side. :L: 

2 minutes ago, tugboat95 said:

Please note I'm not an expert on how Jeep did stuff. I know a lot more about Chevy. But Jeep used a lot of GM stuff so......maybe.

my technique will work for most all rear wheel drive rigs. :L:  a permanent fulltime AWD system makes things... harder.

it appears that your prop valve is pointed the wrong way.  the rod coming off the diff cover should point straight up, and the swing arm should point to the pass side. :L: 

Thanks for the response and also pointing that out. It’s never been touched as far as I know. I have had the truck since 2009 and my grandfather was the original owner, got it brand new in 1986. Someone along the line must have messed with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it typically happens when the truck is picked up on a lift and then set back down.  the process stretches the linkage out and you need to make sure it goes back into the proper orientation.  very common. :L:  

yeah, the 35 isn't long for this world behind a v8.  :D   The explorer 8.8 is a good choice.  don't pay extra for a v8 version as they are the same inside as the v6 and you're going to trim the brackets off anyway.