I made a driveshaft today

For the trail, so my good one won't get all dented in....more than it already is :roll:

2.25" (or 2"...I can't remember) plumbing pipe from home depot The metal is twice as thick as a stock driveshaft...so I hope it will hold together a little better than the one I twisted earlier this year. I took the ends off of a spare XJ shaft I had, and welded them on...I think my welds are getting a little better too. Its not balanced, and will be swapped out when the trail run is over. :D

I had pipe driveshafts. Actually, the rear one is still hanging on the wall I think. They're tough, you can let them spin on a rock for a long time without real damage.

I didn't do such a nice job. They almost worked out so they'd be nice and straight, but not quite. So I just kinda threw them together once I realized they wouldn't be close.

I think my welds are getting a little better too.

don't mean to be a smart@$$ here but yes, your welds look very good, I'm in a two year welding program so i'm starting to be able to see what welds are good and what aren't. I had no idea your could build your own drive shaft like that and make it work..

don't mean to be a smart@$$ here but yes, your welds look very good, I'm in a two year welding program so i'm starting to be able to see what welds are good and what aren't. I had no idea your could build your own drive shaft like that and make it work..

Just don't run them at highway speed unless you get them balanced.

I'm pleased with them. I never had any welding schooling (only neighbors show me how) and I haven't spent much time welding. I built a bumper, and a gas tank skid plate...thats it.

I tried it on the highway, and its works great until you hit 50mph..then it vibrates.

• 2 weeks later...

looks nice. My only concern is that that pipe is rather brittle so if you smack it good on a rock it might break. That being said, just carry the stocker around just incase jamminz.gif

Edit: sorry for diggin up an old thread. I search for such then I see something and forget its old news :cheers: