1978 CJ-5. Daily / Light Offroad Build

Hey! Last month I got this beautiful CJ-5. As with any 40+ year old car, it's not perfect. 20200404_145628.jpg.564b81ee8c39b09d2a6df899e04e53a2.jpg

<Side note>, browsing CJ forums makes me enjoy this place a lot more. People are much more friendly, and the website actually looks like its been updated within the last 15 years.

It has a fibreglass tub, and the 304 with emissions removed. 3 speed. It runs great, surprisingly, but it doesn't steer so well. There's a lot of play in steering, and when I got it over 35, I could barely keep it in the lane.

From here on out, my dad did the work as I was with my mom. I do get to visit him for two days, so that's nice.

We decided to start at the steering box. It seemed that the entire steering system remained unchanged since 1978, so as things were taken off, they basically had to be replaced. This turned into a complete steering overhaul.

Here is as it sits now:20200509_102939.jpg.391a136fbe72f71539c656c32056f9aa.jpg

I got the tie rods and pitman rod in today. Hopefully we can take it to the alignment tomorrow to finish the job and be able to drive over 40mph.

While working on it, the hood cracked. That's great. Hopefully the rest of the body doesn't do that 🥺

That's it for now :D  She has no name yet, so if you have ideas, let me know :L: