88 F-350 ??? New tow rig maybe

Rokhound

I went and looked at that 88 F-350 460 auto 2 wheel drive and here is the thing it has a rattle that seem to be coming from the bottom end of the motor I think. But then again if you step on the gas it goes a way is this something in the muffler system or fly wheel maybe I don’t know.

Here is a video of the noise it is hard to hear but I think you can tell what I am talking about.

http://tinyurl.com/23poxb

The tires that are under are dry rotted really bad and I don’t want to take a chance on one or more blowing on my way home with it about a 200 mile trip. What do you think a set of tire will run me (6) I believe they are 7.5 R16 they don't have to be anything really meaty.

And here are is a video of the whole truck not bad I would think. What do you guys think???

http://tinyurl.com/yschlz

Looks like a nice truck for an '88. That noise sounds like an exhaust leak in the video, but if it goes awway when you rev the engine, I would think that it's not likely exhaust. VERY hard to tell in a video like that.

If you are looking for new tires, you should be able to get some for around $80-$90 each for that. Remember that they have to be a high load rated tire for the HD truck so they will be a little more money than just a regualr car tire in a similar size.

Are you sure there 16" tires???

I thought that all changed in the late 70's and switched to 16.5. From the video, the rims look like 16.5, 16" rims use to be the "split rims" at least on turcks.

Anywho......I have a E350, and the tire store loves to see me pull in ;)

Last time I bought a set for the front, 235/75/R16.5E they were $126 each, I just looked at some yesterday at BJ's (yea, that's where I go for tires) and they were up to $132 each X 6 = $792 :eek:

One thing, you don't want a tire wider than 235, cause the dullys will rub.

Over all, for a '88, the truck looks good. And with the 460, lots of power under the hood :yes: But plan on like 8.5 to 9.5 mpg.

yeah it has the power man and yeah I now the tires are not going to be cheap but I don’t plan to use it like "everyday" just like once a month and maybe once or twice a year out of state to hang with some of you guys :cheers:. It is about 180 miles from me I think if it was closer I would be all over this. The motor only as 109,xxx on it but I really think I am going to hold out for something a little closer and more my style(crew cab).