California peeps- '97 XJ, '91 MJ, and hydroboost Galore

over2land

I was at the Miliken Pick a part today in Ontario (So Cal) and saw the following stuff. I'm not affiliated, just passing along info for anyone who may or may not be looking for parts. For guys out of the area, sorry I can't go and pull stuff, as I'm out of time for the next few days.

The '97 XJ was a 4wd auto, but both trans and tcase are gone, white exterior, grey leather interior, was in a front end collision, but doors and hatch look ok. Power everything, all parts still there. Dash all there, but not all installed, full floor console and overhead console that looks like it was half removed by a gorilla. Engine is still there, throttle body is still there and still has its sensors. The electric fan and fan shroud is gone, brake booster, master cylinder, and prop valve all gone, the front fenders hashed as is the header panel. Painted flares are there (some in the back of the Jeep). It has cruise control, heated power mirrors, rear defrost, rear wiper, and the wood trim for the center panel on the dash and door panels. Also, it has the factory skid plate for the gas tank, although the gas tank itself is gone.

The black '91 MJ is a manual 6cylinder truck, but the motor is gone. Trans and t-case still there. Bench seat which seems to work, grey interior, shattered rear window, a few dents in the rust free bed, tailights massacred, tailgate gone. Manual windows/locks/mirrors. Seeatbelts missing, rear wall carpet missing, headliner missing. 6 gauge cluster, gas tank missing.

Also, there is like 20 or more fleet trucks, like line painting or maintenance trucks that are there. Many of them are GM products, and all the GM products look like they have or had hydroboost. If I had to guess, I'd say there are 10 or more hydroboost units, hoses, and master cylinders there in those trucks.

There is also a 2-door 86 with V-6 and 2- 87 with inline 6. Seats are gone or thrashed, didn't pay them much attention beyond that.

If that isn't enough, this weekend is half price day out there. Doors open at 6 am tomorrow.

This is the pick a part in Ontario right off the 60.

Just a heads up for guys needing/wanting parts.

I've been by there about 10,000 times when I was working there.

But the airlines never want to let me smuggle MJ pieces home in my luggage. Now the company moved to a place worse than Fontana(I didn't think that was possible), Bloomington......

Damn, tomorrow is going to be busy. Chaparral Motorsports is having a parking lot / block sale, the Pomona fairgrounds has the off-road expo, and now this Fontucky JY has half-off day. :drool: All within a few miles of each other.

I better hit the ATM.

LOL...

The MJ? They don't care about it...

Besides, I didn't really think there were many if any people here from the area.

I ended up going back this morning at 5:30 to get the doors myself.

I decided that by the time I got done with seals and whatnot on my doors, I could just by these.

Now I gotta figure out how to make grey interior panels maroon.

There's a small group of guys that make sure that no one but them get any good deals in SoCal. They'll snatch anything priced below market value whether they need it or not. I've seen parts appear on Ebay the day after they were on SoCal NAXJA.

How was the show for you? One emoticon says it all for me: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: If you worked a booth I was probably one of the 1000's of morons that had a question for you. Actually, I only saw the letters "MJ" at one display- Barnett. I chatted with that guy for a while. I also ran into an old schoolmate of mine that owns Tri-County Gear. I guess he wasn't that good of a friend- he wasn't offering any kind of deal on his 9 pound inertia ring for the 2.5.

That red Grand Cheromanche was pretty cool, huh?

Never knew that about the ebay thing... that ain't right.

I ended up going back this AM to grab the front doors for my 89. Power windows, locks, and mirrors. Took 2 hours cause the dang hinges were tweaked.

Show was meh. Nice talent, hopefully legal. No booth... wandering around myself.

You went to school with Jason?

Talked to Mike myself today. Did you see Curries MJ?

You went to school with Jason?

Jason and I went to the same schools in Long Beach and were dirtbike riders since before it was cool (about 8th grade, 1971). In high school he got an old CJ and kind of faded out of the 2 wheeler scene. I couldn't understand why someone would have a car with no doors. He stuck with the Jeeps like I stuck with the bikes. jamminz.gif

I don't know how I missed an MJ at the show. I was at the Curries area. Those axles sure look potent (and odd). Do they work as good as they look?

I also think that the show promoters issued push-up bras to all the gals that were going to be in there. :brows:

You're right. I know exactly how I missed the MJ. My attention was drawn elsewhere. :brows:

I stopped by and talked to Jason for a few minutes. He said $155 for the inertia ring and that bummed me out a little bit. It seems like a lot of money for a circle of 1/4" plate steel with 6 holes and 6 bolts in it. I had to remind myself that it was 35 years ago that we were friends but now he's a businessman.

Years ago I put a heavier flywheel on a vehicle and was really impressed by the enhanced low end. You give up a little throttle response but that shouldn't be a problem unless you're a flat tracker or stadium racer. I'm surprised I don't hear more about the idea being used on trail rigs as it truly is free power. My son and I are going to do a total rebuild on his tired 2.5 and we thought as long as it's out, let's do it all.

Jason did real well in rock crawling competition using a 9 pound ring and a pretty stock 2.5 with a manual trans. That probably sold a lot of rings. Of course, then these folks found out that buying a ring won't make you Jason Bunch.