yj2mjs 88 vs my 86

is his 88 (which he has listed in the classified section) better/easier to build up then my 86? is the front drivetrain stronger? + its a manual which is a plus even though id want to swap it for a better one. and it has a 4.0 instead of the 2.8. :D

The front axle is identical, your front drieshaft is easily swapable. The biggest downfall of your 86 is the 2.8, and that's easily fixed with a 3.4L and a better carb. What I'm trying to say is, more often than not the condition of the vehicle (drivetrain, wiring, rust, etc.) is the most important factor due to the ease of swapping and upgrading any MJ. If you want a stick, go get a stick. If you really must have a 4.0L, go get one. But be prepared to upgrade the gears in a 4.0L/stick. 3.07s SUCK.

What do you truly want in the end?

Jeep on!

--Pete

Also, don't forget about the "devil that you know" aspect. I know practically *everything* that there is to know about my 88, I know nothing about my new 90 and that's a new (and kinda scary) feeling to me. But then, the seller wasn't making ANY claims about reliability with a $300 rustbucket. :D

Jeep on!

--Pete