old tools

mjeff87

My wife and I spent Saturday up in PA going thru her grandparent’s estate, and among other things, I stumbled across this Craftsman wrench. Not sure how old it is, but I’ve never seen one before (and I’m 37 :D)….it’s eight 12 pt. wrenches in one (all SAE, from 7/16” to 7/8”). Thought some of y’all might find it interesting.

Jeff

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Did a little internet research and found out the patent for the design was issued in 1931 to J.H. Williams Co., who manufactured the "Williams No. 1999 eight-way socket wrench". They supplied Craftsman, who released the revised version you see in 1954. It was available until 1968.

Her grandfather wasn't a very mechanical guy, and this tool is in really good shape. Even being 12 pt, none of the points on any of the sizes is worn down at all.

Don't think I'll use it much.....just hang onto it in his memory, along with his pocketknife.

Jeff

I was going to guess it was an early 70's version.. but late 60's sound right as well. Next time you come down I can show you what a Craftsman torch set looks like from the 70's. I need to have it reconditioned.. but its still cool.

BTW Sorry for your loss man... and all the stress it is putting on you and the wife

I used to have one of those. Haven't seen it or even thought about it for years ... which probably means my brother "borrowed" it and has conveniently forgotten to return it.

By all means keep it pristine as a memento. I'm long since divorced from my first wife, but her grandfather was one of my favorite people and I still have an old hammer I found in his garage. It's a straight claw carpenter's hammer. The handle was broken when I found it, but it was WOOD! Bought a new one at a local hardware store (her grandparents lived in rural PA, where they had real hardware stores), put it on, and that hammer was one of the best-balanced hammers I ever swung. Sadly, the heat treating wasn't great and the strking surface of the head started chipping off, so I ground it back to as close to round and smooth as I could get it and retired it with full honors. I still have it ... just don't use it.

my father has a craftsman torque wrench from the 70's that was a gift from my uncle.

I took it to be recalibrated, they lost it.

There was a scene

Magically it turned up.

Old tool are definitely cool.

Jeff, I hope that all is going well. It's a tough thing to do.