Comanche Fuel Pump?

pump is in the tank, easily accessed in th side.

Make sure you're below 1/2 tank if you take it out.

It's easier to work on if you take out the rear driveshaft for headroom.

Use a brass punch to undo the ring holding the fuel pump in place. DOn't want any sparks.

Might want to get a spare gasket for when you put it back together, if it's been in there all these years chances are it will disintegrate when you take it off.

I don't know if the TJ pump will work. Likely the pump will, but it's going to have a different hanger at the very least.

BTW the 4.0's could use 2 different pumps from my sources. The later seem to take more fuel pressure.

My intention was to use the 97 TJ Gas Tank as a fuel cell. I was hoping that its fuel pump would be compatable with my Comanche's engine. Do you think I'm gonna be running into some issues?

At about what point do the engines become "later versions"?

I know in either 2000 or 2003, the engine whet to a distributorless system, AC moved, etc (a lot of changes), is that the point you're refering to?

I forgot what yr the break was, but I know the later fuel pumps have around 140psi and the older ones was a range of 40-60psi according to my source at napa. Wether or not you have issues.. I don't know.

AS for using a stock TJ tank as a fuel cell.. I don't understand why you would go through all the trouble of mounting, wiring, plumbing in a tank that doesn't offer any more eficency or protection then a stock tank. Just my opinion though.

Patrick

Those are good points. It would seem retrofitting a TJ tank is probablly a waste of time and resources.

Where did you get the parts for your fuel cell/pump system (if you don't mind my asking)?

Also, are you able to give me a basic list of components needed (I know nothing about fuel cells)?

Those are good points. It would seem retrofitting a TJ tank is probablly a waste of time and resources.

Where did you get the parts for your fuel cell/pump system (if you don't mind my asking)?

Also, are you able to give me a basic list of components needed (I know nothing about fuel cells)?

A fuel cell is more than just a tank mounted in a non-stock location. It has a bladder in it that acts like a sponge so that if you roll over, the fuel doesn't spill out and cause a fire.

You can buy fuel cells at any decent speed shop that caters to racers, or on-line from www.summitracing.com

My setup is the MSD 2225 pump, a summit fuel filter kit, and the RCI fuel cell. PLus some various AN fittings and Inverted flair fittings. Basically what you have to do is reduce the AN fittings down to standard fiitngs. I used plain old rubber fuel line, instead of steel braided to save a few bucks. I also used the stock charcoal canister as my vent. If you truly want an indepth parts list, I have to go to my garge and count all the fittings and stuff that we used. THIS IS NOT A CHEAP MOD. fuel cell was around 225, pump was around 91, the fuel filter was 25, the AN fittings were around 45 for the 3, plus various other fittings. All told it was around 500 just for the fuel cell setup. Not what I would call a cheap mod, but well worth it if there is a chance of a flop or roll in your future.

BTW the stock fuel tank does an excellent job in preventing this if it is in good repair.

Patrick

Certainly deserves a place on my list of future mods based on my goals for this Jeep. I think I'd best shoot for other things first though if its in that kind of price range (ie: drive train). Thanks for the information about it, I really appreciate all of the answers.