Will Cherokee Shocks work on a Comanche?

Just as the title implies, I'm looking at some new shocks for the manche. I was wondering if Cherokee shocks would work? I know the front end will most likely, but how about the rear?

I'm looking at some bilsteins, or some Eibach IAS shocks. I can only find them for the cherokee though :mad:

Thanks for any input! jamminz.gif

Confirmed -- XJ rear shocks won't work. I tried. I had a decent set of shocks out of a wrecked XJ so I punched the cross pins out of the rear shocks and tried to put them into my '88. With the truck sitting on it's tires, unloaded, the fully extended shocks were about an inch too short to connect the upper and lower mounts. You could get them in by weighing down the bed with some load, but the shocks would be topped out all the time and probably self-destruct in a couple of weeks.

Man, that's definitely a big downer :cry:. Ah well.

Do you guys know of any company's/stores that do sell more street performance orientated shocks for the comanche?

This one is going to be my DD, and will rarely go off road. So i'm trying to tune it to handle even better than it already does.

Thanks again! :brows:

Also, while we are on the topic....Will those addco rear sway bars for the cherokee fit a comanche? I'm assuming the front sways will, as the shocks do. But the rear probably won't again..

It's much harder than I thought to get these manches going!

Oh this manche has been up and going for a long time, especially with only 125k on the clock :cheers: It has definitely had more than its share of problems due to lack of care from the previous owner though :roll:

I'm basically trying to improve it's handling a good deal over stock. It already had slightly lower (235/70/15) tires that the prev owner had on it.

Oh and about the junkyards...none of them are half way decent around here. Theres a pick and pull up north, but thats all the way about 4 hours up.

rear swaybars were never an option on the MJ. So you'd have to fabricate the mounts for it in the back.

I'd look under the rear of a crown vic, they had some beefy rear swaybars that are probably about the right width.

You're on your own for mounts though.

Man, that's definitely a big downer :cry:. Ah well.

Do you guys know of any company's/stores that do sell more street performance orientated shocks for the comanche?

This one is going to be my DD, and will rarely go off road. So i'm trying to tune it to handle even better than it already does.

OME makes great shocks for XJ/MJs up to a 3" lift. Not cheap but they give a super ride and good handling. If you need the part numbers, let me know.

Thanks again! :brows: Also, while we are on the topic....Will those addco rear sway bars for the cherokee fit a comanche? I'm assuming the front sways will, as the shocks do. But the rear probably won't again..

It's much harder than I thought to get these manches going!

The XJ rear sway bar will not "bolt in" to the rear of an MJ, but I suppose anything is possible if you're talented. PST (Performance Suspension Technology) used to make a bolt in rear sway bar for the SWB MJ, don't know if they still do. As for the front, hit the yards and pull a heavy duty front sway bar from an XJ Country model. It's much beefier than the MJ stock bar. Or better yet, check Fleabay occasionally. I picked up a NOS 1-1/16" XJ sway bar from Tapco for $18 + $11 shipping.

Hmmm. How would it affect handling if I was to just put a beefy front sway bar on, and leave the rear w/o one? I definitely don't have the tools, time nor money to make my own setup for the rear.

Also, if you wouldn't mind. A link or parts number for those shocks will be a huge help! :cheers:

Thanks again :chillin:

Hmmm. How would it affect handling if I was to just put a beefy front sway bar on, and leave the rear w/o one? I definitely don't have the tools, time nor money to make my own setup for the rear.

Also, if you wouldn't mind. A link or parts number for those shocks will be a huge help! :cheers: Thanks again :chillin:

Installing a beefier sway bar up front would do very little to improve handling IF the rest of your suspension parts (coils, leafs, shocks, etc) are not in good shape. I'd concentrate on these parts first before the sway. Lots of MJ guys don't even run a sway bar. I needed the beefier sway bar and stronger springs because I haul around a camper shell all the time.

Here's great link: http://www.dpgoffroad.com/

Ask for Dirk, he'll answer all your suspension questions. Good guy and good prices.

Thanks for the link!

I'd say the suspension is in great shape for it's age! This thing has been florida bound its whole life and there is not a spot of rust under there. No sag in the leaf springs, and with 125k on the clock of it, i'd reckon it's not that worn out. However, it was used as a work truck and the shocks were definitely changed out.

Let's say the suspension is in good condition, what would really be the noticeable effects of having just a front sway bar? I'm afraid it will throw off balance around turns? I don't really know. :nuts:

As long as your suspension is in overall good shape, the sway bar should help a bit. It helped me quite a bit on body roll because I have a 2-1/2" - 3" lift and the camper. But if it were me I'd just get a thicker OEM bar, at least 1", and replace the bushings on the bar and the end links while you're at it. I think the aftermarket bars are a waste of $$.

I've got an extra pair of 3" lift shocks for an MJ sitting here. I bought them and they were too short and the store wouldn't take them back becasue I already had them on my truck. They're skyjackers. If you're interested I can find the extended and collapsed lengths on them. I'll sell the pair for $50

Monroe Sensa-Trak.

Yeah, had those pre-lift. Both rear shocks crapped out in less than a year. Front shocks were okay though. Save your $$ and get some good ones. I think Bilstein and KYB and I know OME makes shocks for non-lifted stock MJs.