Trouble Starting When Hot

2 hours ago, Hudy said:

I did drop the tank and it took forever. I think it could reasonably be done in the truck. 

Well if you think you have found your culprit, then I'll put this on my list of things to try.  ...And I am banking on NOT dropping the tank!  Heavens to mercy.   I struggled getting my new tank put in a couple years ago and I'd rather take an a$$whoopin' than have to deal with that again.  Properly aligning the rubber filler hoses was just awful.

Thanks for sharing, amigo.  

4 hours ago, coolwind57 said:

Well if you think you have found your culprit, then I'll put this on my list of things to try.  ...And I am banking on NOT dropping the tank!  Heavens to mercy.   I struggled getting my new tank put in a couple years ago and I'd rather take an a$$whoopin' than have to deal with that again.  Properly aligning the rubber filler hoses was just awful.

Thanks for sharing, amigo.  

Yeah... alignment is a real struggle. Its a tight fit! In the long run I'm glad I did drop the tank because I found a good amount of rust on top of it; itll have to be replaced when I replace the bed. 

Ill be driving it daily for the next few weeks to confirm this is dealt with. I feel fairly good about it. 

12 hours ago, Hudy said:

Yeah... alignment is a real struggle. Its a tight fit! In the long run I'm glad I did drop the tank because I found a good amount of rust on top of it; itll have to be replaced when I replace the bed. 

Ill be driving it daily for the next few weeks to confirm this is dealt with. I feel fairly good about it. 

Well I have to be honest about something that I'm kind of embarrassed about.  And it is beginning to make more sense since your are beginning to point at your fuel pump as a possible reason for this issue.  

I had replaced my fuel tank going on two years ago, I think.  Anyhow, I pulled out the pump/sending assembly from the old one and put it in the new one and got it all installed.  Some time later, I was viewing pics and I realized that my assembly didn't have the screen (sock) filter on it when I installed it on the new tank.  I suppose it didn't even dawn on me that there was suppose to be one on there.  I simply pulled off the old, then installed on the new.

I'm wondering if there's some contaminants being held by pressure in the pump or associated lines maybe and that they get released after an hour or so as pressure slowly releases.  This is just a thought.  

By the way, I was amazed at how your filter was clogged up, my friend  Good heavens!  Perhaps we're both victims of contaminants blocking the pump's functioning.  

11 hours ago, coolwind57 said:

Well I have to be honest about something that I'm kind of embarrassed about.  And it is beginning to make more sense since your are beginning to point at your fuel pump as a possible reason for this issue.  

I had replaced my fuel tank going on two years ago, I think.  Anyhow, I pulled out the pump/sending assembly from the old one and put it in the new one and got it all installed.  Some time later, I was viewing pics and I realized that my assembly didn't have the screen (sock) filter on it when I installed it on the new tank.  I suppose it didn't even dawn on me that there was suppose to be one on there.  I simply pulled off the old, then installed on the new.

I'm wondering if there's some contaminants being held by pressure in the pump or associated lines maybe and that they get released after an hour or so as pressure slowly releases.  This is just a thought.  

By the way, I was amazed at how your filter was clogged up, my friend  Good heavens!  Perhaps we're both victims of contaminants blocking the pump's functioning.  

Haha! Not knowing any better I would probably have done the same thing. I wouldn’t be surprised if my filter was bogging the pressure down and if your pump had a good clog. Good news is the fuel filter probably picked up whatever went through anyway. 

I’ll be putting a new starter in tomorrow night along with checking compression and hopefully with all that I’ll be in better shape.

I wouldn’t hesitate to replace that pump in your shoes. Cheers brother!