Another case of no dash lights

Hey guys new member here, so I’ve done tons of searching with no luck. My dash lights we’re working occasionally but now have stopped all together UNLESS I switch my high beams on. I’ve already replaced the headlight switch and added relays. So anyone have a similar issue and found a fix? The connector for the switch has melted a bit so I have a new one on order. 

2B33D86A-9443-49FB-B5D2-CF14ADF3DD2C.jpeg

Your melted terminal on the Headlamp Switch (C269) is C269_I. C269_I feeds Instrument Cluster lamps and other lamps used on the dash. Do the other lamps work normally (ex: ash tray lamp, fog lamp switch lamp, PRNDL lamp, heater/AC panel lamp etc etc)? Don't understand why they work on HI BEAM.

1 hour ago, Ωhm said:

Your melted terminal on the Headlamp Switch (C269) is C269_I. C269_I feeds Instrument Cluster lamps and other lamps used on the dash. Do the other lamps work normally (ex: ash tray lamp, fog lamp switch lamp, PRNDL lamp, heater/AC panel lamp etc etc)? Don't understand why they work on HI BEAM.

Thats what I found so weird that they only work with the high beams. The shift indicator light works, as well as the turn signal indicator. But other than those two nothing else works on the interior. Headlights, taillights, running lights all work with no issues I should add. 

1 hour ago, Ωhm said:

This question is more out of curiosity. When HI BEAM's are ON, using the dimmer switch, can you dim all the Instrument Panel Lamps?

Just checked and nope they do not dim with the hi beams on. Just checking but If the ground was bad the dash lights shouldn’t work at all, right? Just trying to rule out every option. 

Instrument Panel Lamps are more than likely finding the proper grounds. My question now is the voltage sources. 1) Panel Lamps that work with HI BEAM, yet shows no dimmer control, means HI BEAM circuit is shorted to Panel Lamps between Headlight Switch and Panel Lamps. 2) Headlight Switch C269_I (melted terminal) could be the cause for no Panel Lamps, but what caused the high current to melt it. Don't think that the terminal (C269_I) is the one that melts with high current flow thru Headlight Switch. Seems compound problems here, HI BEAM short to Panel Lamps, No voltage thru Headlight Switch (dimmer circuit) for Panel Lamps. Need to trace the HI BEAM circuit for short to Panel Lamps. Should solve this one first.

7 hours ago, Ωhm said:

Instrument Panel Lamps are more than likely finding the proper grounds. My question now is the voltage sources. 1) Panel Lamps that work with HI BEAM, yet shows no dimmer control, means HI BEAM circuit is shorted to Panel Lamps between Headlight Switch and Panel Lamps. 2) Headlight Switch C269_I (melted terminal) could be the cause for no Panel Lamps, but what caused the high current to melt it. Don't think that the terminal (C269_I) is the one that melts with high current flow thru Headlight Switch. Seems compound problems here, HI BEAM short to Panel Lamps, No voltage thru Headlight Switch (dimmer circuit) for Panel Lamps. Need to trace the HI BEAM circuit for short to Panel Lamps. Should solve this one first.

7 hours ago, Ωhm said:

Thanks Ohm, I’m gonna get out there and trace some wires. 

5 minutes ago, Ωhm said:

Need to make sure you can't dim your HI BEAM's with the dimmer switch. Also check and see if the dimmer dims the Instrument Panel Lamps.

I was wondering that myself so when I checked the Hi beams they don’t dim but they will shut off if I turn the knob all the way to the right. And the dash lights don’t dim at all. I’m still gonna check to see if there’s a wire crossed and swap the connector when it gets here. 

1 hour ago, Ωhm said:

I think what you just posted explains why Headlight Switch C269_1 melted. I believe your shorted between HI BEAM circuit and Instrument Panel Lamps.

52 minutes ago, Ωhm said:

Do you recall if the HI BEAM indicator was lit (IP Cluster)?

The light in the cluster hasn’t worked since I owned it but I just assumed it was burnt out. Where would I begin to identify this short? I did find a small mouse when I took off the lower panel, could be the culprit. 

Seems like that burned out HB indicator bulb hid the fact that your HI BEAM's were also ON with your LO BEAM's. Did oncoming traffic at night ever flash their lights at you? 88 Electrical Manual call the Instrument Panel Lamps circuit (WHT) and the HI BEAM circuit (ORG/BLK). Short is wherever those two wire run together within the Instrument Panel Harness.

2 hours ago, Ωhm said:

Seems like that burned out HB indicator bulb hid the fact that your HI BEAM's were also ON with your LO BEAM's. Did oncoming traffic at night ever flash their lights at you? 88 Electrical Manual call the Instrument Panel Lamps circuit (WHT) and the HI BEAM circuit (ORG/BLK). Short is wherever those two wire run together within the Instrument Panel Harness.

Up until yesterday I could switch the hi beams on and off, so they haven’t been stuck on till now. So I should follow the wires coming from the back of the instrument panel back and find the short? Just start there and go back in the circuit? 

What I was wondering is, when your LO BEAM's were ON did the Instrument Panel Lamps circuit power the HI BEAM circuit (melted C269_1) at the same time.

Yes, your going to need/be a Harness Surgeon for this one. Instrument Panel Harness is difficult to deal with. Nothing easy here.

1 hour ago, Ωhm said:

What I was wondering is, when your LO BEAM's were ON did the Instrument Panel Lamps circuit power the HI BEAM circuit (melted C269_1) at the same time.

Yes, your going to need/be a Harness Surgeon for this one. Instrument Panel Harness is difficult to deal with. Nothing easy here.

That could be the case. I can’t say for sure without tracing those wires. I guess I have another projects this weekend along the few others I had planned. 

You might want too keep your dimmer switch in the OFF position when using your PARK or LO BEAM's until you find the HI BEAM problem. Since you installed the Headlight Relay fix, it won't draw high current thru the Headlight Switch anymore, but it will trip the HI BEAM relay, unless dimmer is turn OFF.

57 minutes ago, Ωhm said:

You might want too keep your dimmer switch in the OFF position when using your PARK or LO BEAM's until you find the HI BEAM problem. Since you installed the Headlight Relay fix, it won't draw high current thru the Headlight Switch anymore, but it will trip the HI BEAM relay, unless dimmer is turn OFF.

Would the off position be all the way to the right or left after it clicks? Sorry I’m a noob