Porsche 911/912 Interior Lights

Like in most of our rigs, the crappy OEM French Renault interior lights were rotted out and crumbling in my truck. They are no longer available, and when I saw someone purchase a used set on Ebay for close to $100, I thought there had to be a suitable substitute that looked nearly like the original. I had some VW Beetle lights in mine, but they just didn't look right. I saw a used pair of Porsche 911/912 Hella original chrome shell interior lights on Ebay, and picked them up for about $20. You can also find these same lights with a black metal shell, but I preferred the original chrome. jamminz.gif They are well built, all metal with a glass lens, and look very similar to the MJ originals. They are three-way too, and rock front-to-back verses the Renault units that rocked top-to-bottom. Here's a pic of the front before installation.

And the back. Notice the simple spade connectors, very easy to wire.

Here's a pic before preparing the hole. Using a Dremel tool, just edge it out about 1/8" all the way around, test fitting the lamp until it's right.

Cut off the original connector, crimp on three female spade connectors on the wires, wire it up, do a smoke test, then pop it into the hole.

I thought it came out pretty well, even though it's not original.

• 11 months later...