Jeep JK Suspension Question

My 15 JK Sahara is approaching 70K miles and the shocks and springs are nearly toast. Been thinking of picking up a set of low mileage (less than 100 miles) JK Rubicon "take off" shocks and springs instead of springing for aftermarket stuff like OME for 5X the cost. Anyone done this with good results?  

I have a 2013 JKU Rubicon.  When I bought it new in 2013 the stock suspension was exacly what you're looking to put on.  I also had a 2008 JKU Sahara, so I have some basis for comparisson as to what you have now.  I just put the OME 2" suspension lift on my Rubicon this past January to replace the original stock suspension.

You will find the Rubicon suspension provides a firmer ride that feels more responsive over the Sahara suspension.  I don't recall it being a huge difference when I switched from the Sahara to the Rubicon, but it was firmer/stiffer.

The OME is like butter.  The Rubicon suspension is not on the same level.  I got the Rubicon for the 4.10 gearing so I could go to 35s with it.  I went with flat fenders so I could do that with the OME 2" suspension.  Like butter.  No regrets.  Worth every penny.

20180526_170215.jpg

20180526_114827.jpg

20180623_194431.jpg

20180526_170237.jpg

Thanks. Agree with your OME assessment - my MJ is OME all around (except the rear leafs of course), and it can't be beat. I'm buying a new JL next year, so I'm going with the Rubicon parts for now. Ordered a take-off Rubi set of springs and shocks from Fortec 4x4 for $200 shipped, and will throw them on next week.

1034754905_MyBronzeWheelsSmall.jpg.460d00b76c4934242a84dd7565c6d2ea.jpg

Love your fender flares B TW.   :beerchug:

Got the Rubicon springs and shocks on this weekend - was a biotch. Went to a friends muffler shop and used his lift, was still a PITA. Getting too old for this crap I guess. The front springs were especially shot. Sits about an inch higher and rides better than new now, much firmer and much more responsive. If I were keeping it I would have gone with OME shocks (had them on my 2012) but the Rubis will be fine until I get the JL.

I’ve got to do something with my shocks. Been reading up on the JK swaps. The PO intstalled a small lift but not sure what shocks are on it or coils/springs. Man it rides rough!!!!

The black JKs are common on EBay but from all the posts I’ve read the Rubicons seem to be the most popular. 

Is there that that big of difference between the Rubs and the standard black ones??

On 6/25/2018 at 9:59 PM, HOrnbrod said:

Got the Rubicon springs and shocks on this weekend - was a biotch. Went to a friends muffler shop and used his lift, was still a PITA. Getting too old for this crap I guess. The front springs were especially shot. Sits about an inch higher and rides better than new now, much firmer and much more responsive. If I were keeping it I would have gone with OME shocks (had them on my 2012) but the Rubis will be fine until I get the JL.

Glad to hear it went well, and you're liking the Rubicon shocks.

If you have any questions regarding the JL when the time comes, let me know.  The JK and JL are very similar looking from a distance.  The syling changes from JK to JL remind me quite a bit of what happened when Jeep went from the YJ to the TJ.

On 6/26/2018 at 9:08 PM, kryptronic said:

Glad to hear it went well, and you're liking the Rubicon shocks.

If you have any questions regarding the JL when the time comes, let me know.  The JK and JL are very similar looking from a distance.  The syling changes from JK to JL remind me quite a bit of what happened when Jeep went from the YJ to the TJ.

Don't think the improvement was the shocks as much as the springs. They looked a bit beefier and had different p/n's, and I'm sure the spring rate and other specs are different. Anyhow, very glad I did it. Maybe the new JL will be postponed a bit. Mama put most of the miles on the JK, and she loves her Wrangler. Now she's making noises about picking up a new Jeep Renegade or Compass for her driver and keeping the JK in the garage for special occasions.  :laugh:

On 6/26/2018 at 9:30 PM, HOrnbrod said:

Mama put most of the miles on the JK, and she loves her Wrangler. Now she's making noises about picking up a new Jeep Renegade or Compass for her driver and keeping the JK in the garage for special occasions.  :laugh:

Crap, it happened today.  :doh:  WTF, it's only money. Actually I like the little guy so far - 28 total miles.