Hanger sending unit/pump

I came across yesterday  a  discussion going  back to 2009 on Comancheclub about the issue of, no fuel hanger and pumps being made for aftermarket 18 gallon fuel tank part number JP 5B made by Spectra Primimium in Canada where the  residue pan is on the left of hanger hole. Filter shoe and float should sit inside pan. So far for me all auto suppliers on line and stores and dealers are selling part number 10148 for this tank  which is orientating to the right 180° to the opposite side. I also cut the pan so that float would sit on bottom of tank and  rotated filter shoe to left so it would sit inside pan. Put all back together and reinstalled tank put about 2 gallons of gas, truck started right up. Fuel gage moved a little below F full mark. I realized that the fuel sender resistor is working in reverse. The reason I know this is I had tested my old sender for  ohoms  resistance. I  got a reading of 0 at empty and 10 at full. I tested fuel sender 10148 and got reading of 120 ohm at empty and if I remember correctly 50 ohm at full. Resistance working in reverse on pump 10148 . I had tested them when I first  thought I had an  electrical problem when I installed new pump first time. Had to drop tank and take look inside, that is when I noticed the issue of pan on left side and fuel sender and fuel filter sitting on pan wall facing to the right . I failed to compare the 2 units side by side.  I had already thrown my old sending unit out because it had a rust hole in hanger at outlet tubes. Okay with all that said ,  I went to fill the tank. After filling and starting up fuel gage went to empty,  I expected that . I drove about a block and truck slowly shut down  as though it ran out of gas. Got towed home. Today  I siphoned 5 gallons out of tank and tried to restart. Did not start fuel gage moved to 3/4 mark. My questions are; 1 is ECM  confused ,  2 has anyone come up with a  solution to the issue of replacement part and 3 any way to  modify so I can get it to work. I have truck running great, need to do a little more work before I begin to work on body. Jeep Comanche Chief short bed 4.0 L6. 

What year is your truck? It sounds like the sender you are using is of opposite polarity for your particular model. Also the Delphi HP10148 Fuel Pump Hanger Assembly you used is for an XJ, which is a mirror image of the MJ's assembly, thus your tanks internal baffles are in the way. Hopefully someone here has fitted one to an MJ tank before. I have not.

There was a thread a few years ago about someone else discovering the availability of these sending units. One for Renix, one for HO, the difference being the polarity of the sender, as pointed out. I'm guessing it's this one that you found:

If you keep reading until the end you'll discover that it's just an XJ sender unit. Someone somewhere must have assumed the senders interchanged because the pumps did... Unfortunately not the case. A few members did however make them work, at least somewhat. 

The Delphi pumps aren't known for their quality. Could simply be you got a defective one.

I called Spectra Primmium and talked with Tech-support and sent pictures of  my tank on the inside and the pump that the part stores are selling for that tank. Because he was saying they are selling the wrong hanger and pump assembly. This are the OE cross  reference numbers from the dealer in my area  (hanger/sending unit 83504485) (pump 4637192) (tank 83503398-JP5B) these are for 1987 Jeep Comanche Chief 4.0 L6 .. I also called Delphi and talked to Tech- support he said they had an issue with there log book in 2016 and correct the  error and gave me this cross reference number for sending unit 83503634.. supposedly this was the old number for that sending unit for Comanche. Called  dealer and gave number to cross reference it, jumped back to the  same number for hanger 83504485.  So all dealers and auto parts store are selling a sending unit and pump or sending unit by itself that is for XJ. Neither of the tech support persons didn’t even care to check and see if what I had found was correct or not. I did the stupid thing and didn’t compare the two together and threw my old sender in the trash and  kept the pump now I need the hanger sending unit. So if anyone is selling one that is sitting on a shelf I would like to buy.