Emergency Brake Cable

On 3/31/2018 at 1:27 PM, Virginia said:

One question...well, maybe 2.  How do I know it's adjusted correctly?  I didn't feel any drag when I drove the truck and only needed to push it about 2 clicks for the truck to not move when I gassed it and slowly released the clutch.

To do it correctly you should adjust your brake shoes first with a brake spoon using the star wheel on both sides till you can barely hear them dragging inside the drums. Then adjust the e-brake cable to take out any excess slack.

5 hours ago, HOrnbrod said:

To do it correctly you should adjust your brake shoes first with a brake spoon using the star wheel on both sides till you can barely hear them dragging inside the drums. Then adjust the e-brake cable to take out any excess slack.

Man...I can see your lips moving but..........................................is there English in what you just wrote?

5 hours ago, HOrnbrod said:

OK, so I watched a couple of videos.  One guy said some of these self adjust either when you put the car in reverse or when you use the emergency brake.  On the comanche, I would jack up one side, use a screwdriver or something similar and turn that gear looking thing just until the brake shoes rub against the drum then tighten the threaded rod to take up the slack?

The self-adjusters seldom worked correctly on the XJs/MJs; mine never did on all of them I had. Get the shoes adjusted right manually, then adjust the brake cable (if necessary) so there is no excess slack in the cable.

1 hour ago, HOrnbrod said:

The self-adjusters seldom worked correctly on the XJs/MJs; mine never did on all of them I had. Get the shoes adjusted right manually, then adjust the brake cable (if necessary) so there is no excess slack in the cable.

Will do.  Should have time this weekend to do it.