Shock suggestions

Running a 4 inch lift and looking for some suggestions on soft/smooth riding shocks. Have a couple gravel roads around here and can feel every little pebble. Almost done rebuilding the front axle and ordering all new stuff figured shocks would be something to start looking at. Daily driver and my body can't take the jolting around like it used to lol. Thanks guys.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

If you 4” lift isn’t long arms, you’ll benefit more from long arms than shocks in your smooth ride. Also, spring rate has a big part in smooth ride. For shocks I run bilstein 5100s and I’m happy with the ride. I’m not always hitting the bumpstops cruising down trails like I was before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you 4” lift isn’t long arms, you’ll benefit more from long arms than shocks in your smooth ride. Also, spring rate has a big part in smooth ride. For shocks I run bilstein 5100s and I’m happy with the ride. I’m not always hitting the bumpstops cruising down trails like I was before.

I just ordered some RE springs to try out. Only 100 bucks so can't go wrong. I ended up getting stage two short arms from core 4x4. I don't off road much aside from some hunting trails.

Long arms aren’t just for off-road capability the help tremendously with on-road driving and feel. My xj with 5.5” of lift and long arms rides better than when it was at 3” and short arms. It’s all in the geometry of the suspension. I’ve had the 4.5” and the 5.5” rubicon express coils and the 4.5” were pretty soft and rode good, but with my tire/bumpstop/lift height and the kind of use my Cherokee gets I hit the bumpstops much more often than I do with the 5.5” lift.

MT Leafs and 5100s...  "soft and smooth" are not the first words that come to mind.  

The 5100s do their job well but with an empty bed you are going to feel it.  These trucks don't have enough @$$ to really work that setup like it needs.  With 255/70s, adding a bed cap, loaded tool box, full size spare, hitch, and stock bumper improved the ride quality greatly.  When changing lanes at 80mph the truck stays planted and rebounds nicely.   The setup does a pretty good job of limiting body roll too considering there is no rear sway bar.  It's a rather... "sporty" experience.  

If you want 5100s, and your bed is empty most of the time,  the 170/60s would be a far better option.   

MT Leafs and 5100s...  "soft and smooth" are not the first words that come to mind.  

The 5100s do their job well but with an empty bed you are going to feel it.  These trucks don't have enough @$$ to really work that setup like it needs.  With 255/70s, adding a bed cap, loaded tool box, full size spare, hitch, and stock bumper improved the ride quality greatly.  When changing lanes at 80mph the truck stays planted and rebounds nicely.   The setup does a pretty good job of limiting body roll too considering there is no rear sway bar.  It's a rather... "sporty" experience.  

If you want 5100s, and your bed is empty most of the time,  the 170/60s would be a far better option.   
The back end isn't too bad even with the MTs. They were a precaution since it's going to be a hunting vehicle in the next couple years when I get back to Alaska. I keep a tool box with spare parts, fluids, emergency stuff (blanket/MRE/water) and tools of course in the back. Eventually I'll get an better rear bumper but she does have a hitch. I know the old hag isn't going to feel like a newer jeep just looking for something that doesn't rattle my teeth when I'm driving down a gravel road.