HO Fuel Sending Unit Woes

So I kept noticing a gas smell when walking around my Comanche once I filled it completely up. Found the culprit. Looks to be leaking at the black piece where the wires go in of the sending unit cover. I noticed there is a how to on how to rebuild the sending unit, does anyone know where to get the seal for the wires or how to get it out of the cap without destroying it?

Ideally I would like to just get a new sending unit. People seem to have issues with the XJ Delphi unit from Autozone but it seems to be related to the baffles in the tank. Is there a company that makes a baffle-less 23 gallon tank? My gauge position has been wonky and I attribute it to the sending unit as well so new would be ideal.

Thanks yall.

Xj sending units are not the same ho or renix. 1 the xj housing doesn't xtend as far in or down as the mj. 2 its oriented 180° of what the mj is. Just look at a picture of an xj tank next to an mj and you will see the height diffence of tank. A lwb or swb tank is rectangular in shape and both are the same depth. The only difference in a lwb and swb is the length. Thats why the straps fit the same for both tanks lwb will just take another strap 3 instead of 2.  Lwb and swb senders will flip flop and work too. The float length is the only difference. I believe the only reason they did this is so your fuel guage doesnt fluctuate as much. I had a lwb s-10 as a teenager and that thing rounding corners and jumpin railroad tracks I could get that guage everywhere on good beer drinkin dukes of hazard night. Every aftermarket tank I have bought has been the Spectra. Lwb and swb both by that manufacturer has the slosh pit but not the factory mount in bottom of the pit for the sending unit. Which means it is fully supported by the lock ring.

On 2/6/2018 at 4:18 PM, jerardisflossin said:

So I kept noticing a gas smell when walking around my Comanche once I filled it completely up. Found the culprit. Looks to be leaking at the black piece where the wires go in of the sending unit cover. I noticed there is a how to on how to rebuild the sending unit, does anyone know where to get the seal for the wires or how to get it out of the cap without destroying it?

You probably just need to replace the o-ring and push nut that holds the harness wire grommet to the plate. Read all about it HERE.

c6891c335ba628b4ad1571244e2dc402.jpg

a386ed01bd07a910269c9a1222b1174c.jpg

6 hours ago, HOrnbrod said:

You probably just need to replace the o-ring and push nut that holds the harness wire grommet to the plate. Read all about it HERE.

c6891c335ba628b4ad1571244e2dc402.jpg

a386ed01bd07a910269c9a1222b1174c.jpg

I saw this, but how did he get the old one apart? I have a spare 91 XJ sending unit (same wire entrance) and I cannot get it to separate from the metal piece.

10 minutes ago, jerardisflossin said:

I saw this, but how did he get the old one apart? I have a spare 91 XJ sending unit (same wire entrance) and I cannot get it to separate from the metal piece.

Shoot him a PM. Looks to me like you'll have to pry the push nut off to get to get at the o-ring underneath.

2 hours ago, dinghyboy said:

Had to replace the o-ring on my sender unit. 1992. You just have to pry of the push nut doing as little damage to the plastic as possible so that the new one will grip.

See this post

Do you have a pic? I am having a hard time imagining this. It seems as though if I damage the push nut I could get another?

You most likely will damage the push nut when removing it. They are not supposed to be reused, especially for an application like this one. Did you read the sender rebuild thread? You will need a new o-ring and push nut to repair it.

I should have been clearer in my comment. You will definitely damage the push nut getting it off. In fact i think I cut it with snips to remove it. You need to be careful to NOT damage the plastic housing the wires go through or you run the risk of the push nut not holding securely when you re-install it. I used a new push nut and O-ring. Wish I could find the parts number and pictures, but can't seem to. 

Good Luck. It really wasn't hard to do. Hardest part was removing the sender and cleaning up the unit where the PO had packed on pounds of sealant rather than fix it properly.