fuel pump

so I need a fuel pump. My truck randomly dies, and the fuel rail holds almost no pressure after 1-2 minutes of sitting...but it does run, and the pump doesnt sound out of the ordinary.

What did everyone use...NAPA? any part numbers? I just want to know where to go so I can get a good unit.

Twisty,

If you remember my post. There are two possible pumps for some years.

Napa or the dealership would be good options. I just went to the parts store I always use. The dealer may be able to get the exact pump by referencing your trucks VIN number.

Good luck,

CW

Well I was futzing around with the MJ, because it didnt have ALL the symptoms of a bad fuel pump. It turned out that the TPS, was WAY out of adjustment, and the IAC was bad. I adjusted the TPS, and pulled the IAC out of my spare 1990 XJ, and the MJ is running great!

Thanks for the replies Hornbrod, and CW. I know I will remember this thread when I do need to do a fuel pump!

how exactly do you adjust the TPS anyways?

With a digital multimeter and by loosening the screws on the TPS and turning it. The holes in the TPS are slotted so that it can be turned and adjusted. You need to have the voltage or OHM specs to adjust it properly, but I don't have them off hand.

If you have a Chiltons manual, it will tell you how to do it. Basically, you probe the wires on the TPS, and when the throttle is in idle position, the voltage should read 0.5v-1.2v. If it is out of spec, then you just do what 1986Comanche said, and loosen the screws and rotate the TPS until you get the desired voltage. Mine is set at 0.5v, and it runs very smooth....especially with the new cap, rotor, plugs, and wires :brows:

how exactly do you adjust the TPS anyways?

With a digital multimeter and by loosening the screws on the TPS and turning it. The holes in the TPS are slotted so that it can be turned and adjusted. You need to have the voltage or OHM specs to adjust it properly, but I don't have them off hand.

Here's a good site on Renix sensor adjustments:

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Eng ... ostics.htm

Also, for the HO guys, there is no adjustment for the TPS.