tailgate latch

hi everyone, first off thank you so much for this site. The brake lines in my 1990 comanche went south on me about three months ago and being about as inexperienced at working on cars as they come i was extremely concerned when i saw two line running to the the back of the truck so i went to researching and stumbled across this site and I'm proud to say that with your help ive driven it to work for the past two weeks.

Any way my tailgate latch has been giving me problems for quite a while the cable on the left seems to be working fine, but every so often the one on the right just slips off. when i pull it out and put the cable back on it works perfectly for about two weeks or so and then someone doesnt listen to me and slams the tailgate shut and the cable slips off again. so i was wondering in anybody had a suggestion of a more permanent fix or should i just start looking for a new latch and please be kind and remember that all i know how to do now is change my brake lines by bypassing the height sensor

rumor has it that the older s10s used the same pieces parts for the latch. probably a lot easier to find those.

I've never heard they were the same (but that does not mean anything :brows: ). Do you know what S10 parts are the same, the latch / lever assemblies, or the handle and rod parts?

Those latch rods are held into the latch with the same little doohickeys that the door latch and lock rods use....they're a little bushing that swivels around and locks the rod in so it doesn't pop out. Make sure it's "locked" onto the rod, or that it isn't broken.

Jeff

rumor has it that the older s10s used the same pieces parts for the latch. probably a lot easier to find those.

I've never heard they were the same (but that does not mean anything :brows: ). Do you know what S10 parts are the same, the latch / lever assemblies, or the handle and rod parts?

I've not witnessed it first hand, but a friend of mine had 3 MJ's in the 90's. Told me that the innards of the tailgate were pretty much all the same.

I can't say any more about specifics.

Those latch rods are held into the latch with the same little doohickeys that the door latch and lock rods use....they're a little bushing that swivels around and locks the rod in so it doesn't pop out. Make sure it's "locked" onto the rod, or that it isn't broken.

Jeff

what he said

I've not witnessed it first hand, but a friend of mine had 3 MJ's in the 90's. Told me that the innards of the tailgate were pretty much all the same.

I can't say any more about specifics.

Been checking this out a bit. The handles are interchangable, come in both black and chrome, and are like about 50% cheaper. Not sure yet about the latches/levers but I suspect they are the same price-wise too. Good stuff!

i acctually just pulled out the latch yesterday a looked at it seems like someone a while ago replaced the pin in the middle with an actual bolt so i tightened that down just a little bit and bent the wing back to see if it would hold better I'm gonna give it some abuse today and if it doesnt hold I'm definitely gonna start looking for an s10 latch thanks guys

btw hey 87manche i saw you have two bed toolboxes and are looking to get rid of them ashland is only about a 3 hour drive from me and steubenville is only around 30 minutes and considering i have yet to fix my drivers side door lock a toolbox would be perfect just lemme know if you still have them thanks again guys

Younz from around da 'Burgh? That's my old stompin' grounds :D

If you want, there's an MJ in the 'yard down here that I can pull the scissor-latch assembly out of for you (?) I've got to meet up with Nate in Steubenville sometime in the not-too-distant future....I could bring it along with me (or I can mail it up to ya if you need it sooner).

Jeff

i acctually just pulled out the latch yesterday a looked at it seems like someone a while ago replaced the pin in the middle with an actual bolt so i tightened that down just a little bit and bent the wing back to see if it would hold better I'm gonna give it some abuse today and if it doesnt hold I'm definitely gonna start looking for an s10 latch thanks guys

btw hey 87manche i saw you have two bed toolboxes and are looking to get rid of them ashland is only about a 3 hour drive from me and steubenville is only around 30 minutes and considering i have yet to fix my drivers side door lock a toolbox would be perfect just lemme know if you still have them thanks again guys

still got them.

I need to find the keys for the metal one, they're around here somewhere.

Thanks jeff that'd be perfect but don't worry i don't need it any time soon just let me know when ur gonna head to steubenville and i can pick up the latch and maybe the bed box all in one besides id never miss a chance to get some advice on what to do with my truck anyway my email is tbaker115@yahoo or just call my cell 412-853-3073 for when your headed up[/img]

well I'm not in a hurry just yet the redneck engineering i put on it still seems to be working :D but i got some construction work I'm doin for a friend over the next few days so we'll see if it passes the first test but no hurry just let me know when you're headed up to steubenville

hey 87manche any luck with those keys yet?