lift and tire clearance?

I have an 86 MJ completely stock.  I plan to install a 3"-3.5" lift shortly. I am new to the "modern" jeep world and would like to know what wheel size(15x8 etc.) and tire size would cause the least amount of clearance issues/headaches.  I thought maybe 15x8 with 4.5" backspacing and 11/32.50's.  Any suggestions?

You seem to be approaching this in reverse. The usual sequence is to (1) find that certain trails require more ground clearance than your rig provides; (2)

select a larger tire size (and wheel size if the tires are too large for OEM wheels; and then (3) select the amount of lift necessary to run the selected tire size. Before I would consider trying to answer your question, I would want to know why you think it's necessary to lift your truck, and how you arrived at the choice of a 3" to 3-1/2" lift.

Actually, 31s will fit (on OEM Jeep rims) with no lift at all, and work very well with a 2-inch budget boost. Once you go higher than 2 inches you start to need other things, such as control arms and adjustable track bars.

I bought my '88 Chief with a 4-inch lift and drop brackets, and I wheeled it like that on 31s for a couple or three years. Then I had an attack of sanity, removed the lift, and I was much happier.