Roof racks

ohiostate454

Hey so me and my wife just went and bought kayaks and a roof rack system for her 2012 Liberty. I do not have any experience with roof racks as I also have my truck. When I started to install them I noticed that these specfic ones did not over hang off the side of the brackets and sat inside forcing me to take the endcaps off. Has anyone had an experience with this? The rack is a 50 inch malone universal rack I am debating seeing if I can get the 58 inch rack so it sticks through the brackets and over the edge of the side mounting rail. I hope this makes sense as we are leaving on a 4 hour trip tomorrow that is also half highway so I don't want to lose 2 brand new kayaks doing 70 down the highway. Or I could just be overthinking things. Any help would be great thanks.

what holds the bar in?  can you wiggle it at all with your hands?  as long as the clamping force is fully engaged, I don't see why it wouldn't be fine.  but on the other hand, piece of mind is piece of mind.  there certainly wouldn't be any harm in getting the longer ones. :thumbsup:

I think they look good the way they are, as long as they're locked in, kind of looks like maybe an end cap could go on there for a finished look, and/or would lock the bar from walkin either way. Myself, unless I needed the bar to stick out, I'd keep the smaller one, maybe put a screw or bolt in the ends for extra security if I didn't trust the factory engineering. But if I didn't trust the factory engineering, why would I myself buy it?