44 carrier question

hey guys, i just bought a TJ 44 not a rubi.. it was a regular TJ with a 44 in the rear.. i bout the ring and pinion and carrier.. to use in the front of my mj in my 44... anyways

i got a lockright for it and was about to put it all in and realized this carrier looks weird... is it limited slip already?? and how do i get that damn center pin out? hahaha

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

If it where me I would sell it and get an open carrier for your lock rite.

The factory LS is slightly better for street applications. Not a whole lot better off road than an open carrier.

If I had it in and installed all ready to go I wouldn't throw it away...but seeing as you have it out already.....

CW

I got a limited slip in my LJ, pretty common for 30" tire group and all LJs have them in the rear. I have been overly impressed with it in almost every situation except heavy rock where there is a lot of articulation.

My LSD seems to stay locked just about anytime both tires are firmly on the ground. I know I have been accused of having a locked rear before. But keep in mind this is in the rear of mine, which means its got a lot more weight on it then the front would in most circumstances. On road its hardly noticeable, except on ice, it pulls just like a locker. If you do use it make sure you get a tube of that friction modifier otherwise it will make a bunch of noise and the clutches will wear out faster.

That being said, its not a locker and if you want one it will not live up to a locked axle. As soon as a tire is lifted or gets very light it will unlock. If it is low miles then the clutches will be in good shape and it might warrant getting put in. Depending on previous use of it it might be in fine shape even at 100k, all depends on the abuse. Mine is still working good at 50k with a lot of wheeling on it.

If it were me , I would just buy a carrier and put in the lock right. Carriers are cheap and you already have the lock right.

Unlimited,

A couple points to ponder. I am glad yours works so well for ya.

First off yours is new. New almost always works better. But put some time and miles on it and it will be the same as all other trash locks!!!

Secondly 30" tires do not easily get the leverage to defeat the clutches. Move up a couple tire sizes and defeating them becomes easier and easier.

Like I said, If it where in and under the Jeep. I would say run it and see how it performs. Since its out and you have the lunchbox in hand. Sell it and buy what you want.

CW