Rear Shock Length

Well I found out today that the shocks I have for a 5" lifted XJ will not work on the MJ. I had assumed that they were very similar, I was wrong. Unless someone knows of a secret to make them work?

I am now looking for a new set of rear shocks. The MJ will have a SO in the rear. I am also going to be running the TeraFlex revolvers. Anyone have any guess as to what length shocks I'm going to be needing? I really don't want the shocks to be the limiting factor for rear flex. It will be bump stopped correctly, but I don't want to bottom them out and create premature failure.

Anyone have any recommendation on a cheap shock? I'll probably run the DT3000's. Rusty's sells a "Tenneco"; anyone have any experience with them? I ran them on my other MJ, but do not have any long term experience with them as I sold the Jeep about 4 months after I put those shocks on.

I've had good experience with my Skyjackers, even heating them up a real good bit.

Your best bet is probably going to be to get the lift done first, and then worry about shocks instead of the other way around.

My shocks have 10" of travel and limit my droop (too short of a shock) and uptravel (too long for the mounting). Plan on relocating your shock mounts or using a lot of bumpstopping.

Tenneco is a huge conglomerate that happens to own Monroe and Rancho. If Rusty is calling his shocks "Tenneco," that means he's selling a cheapie Monroe or Rancho and doesn't want you to know it.

That pic I posted is from before I swapped in my front drop brackets and Bilstein shocks at all four corners. The DB's allowed me such additional flex I wanted to take better advantage of it with longer shocks. Longer in the rear was as easy as just tipping them in a bit more.

I drilled an additional set of holes and tipped the shocks a bit farther allowing even a longer shock as those where at bit short and limiting my travel.

I took measurements using a fork lift. I discoed the shocks and removed the bump stops. Then lifted one rear tire until the other was about to come off the ground and measured both sides. I did the same to the other side and averaged the numbers. This gave me wnhat I needed for shock legnth as well as bump stop heights.

CW