87 Auto Tranny Problem

Having some tranny problems with my 87 MJ

Put it in drive it seems to slip like mad untill it shifts into second. put it in first then second then drive........ no issues

Tranny filter or electronics? Ill be working on the truck tomorrow any ideas as to whats busted?

check the TV cable on the throttle body and make sure it's adjusted properly. It controls line pressure.

to adjust, there should be a plastic button on the top.

Push plastic button, pull the plastic housing thingy forward.

Get in the jeep and push the accelerator to the floor. You should hear 2 or 3 clicks and then it should be set properly.

I imagine that it's mushy when not in 1-2 because it's slipping when shifting. WHen you keep it in 1-2 you're likely hitting a higher RPM and generating the correct line pressure.

of course it's speculation, but it doesn't take but 5 minutes to adjust the cable, and it's free.

i believe that there is a write up at this site www.lunghd.com which for rebuilding the neutral switch, also it may need an adjustment. That is what i did for a quick fix when mine was acting up in my 96. you may want to checck the retainer and see if it's loose too. :cheers: