XJ Bumper fit MJ?

I'm considering getting a bumper off of an XJ (don't know the year yet, hopefully later tonight) and fitting it to my 87 MJ?

Any year range issues or problems I should be aware of?

Don't mind a bit of fettling, but if certain XJ years are out of the question, I'd like to know.

Thanks

'97+ bumpers are, I think, just ugly on '84-'96s because the flares are continued through the bumper's end caps:

and you'd have to cut that section of the fender off.

Whether the mounts are the same or not, I'm only 80% sure that they are.

The mounts are virtually the same, except the top bolt. 84-96's top bolts are parallel with the ground and screw in from the back of the bracket, while 97+ are perpendicular and bolt from the top of the bumper down. Not a problem, just have to drill a new hole thru the bumper, or else make sure you grab the brackets along with it. Both brackets screw into the same 3 holes in the framerail.

Kinda the same situation, I was running a set of 97 tow hooks/brackets on my MJ with the stock 87 bumper, and all I had to do was notch out the bumper a hair above the brackets, and drill 2 holes for the upper bolts.

Jeff

The mounts are virtually the same, except the top bolt. 84-96's top bolts are parallel with the ground and screw in from the back of the bracket, while 97+ are perpendicular and bolt from the top of the bumper down. Not a problem, just have to drill a new hole thru the bumper, or else make sure you grab the brackets along with it. Both brackets screw into the same 3 holes in the framerail.

Kinda the same situation, I was running a set of 97 tow hooks/brackets on my MJ with the stock 87 bumper, and all I had to do was notch out the bumper a hair above the brackets, and drill 2 holes for the upper bolts.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff and all.

I just heard back that it's from a 96, so all should be good.

And just to clarify, it's an aftermarket brush guard bumper, so the stock bumper configuration wouldn't have been an issue, but it's nice to know that the brackets are readily adaptable. I was afraid that it might be a different framerail configuration.

Jim