Steering shaft

dose anybody know ehre i can purchase a new steering shaft?

also need some info on removing the steering shaft.

thanks,

Rich

the steering shaft from the steering wheel to the steering box?

go to the junkyard. be mindful that you will need to re-align the steering wheel to the front end if you replace this. one bolt on the back at the firewall, one bolt on the front by the steering box, take out the bolts, and pry it off by wedging a straight cro-bar (if it breaks free you don't want it to come lose and damage the hood or you) between the shaft and the box or firewall, and pull it away. it collapses to fit.

dose anybody know ehre i can purchase a new steering shaft?

also need some info on removing the steering shaft.

thanks,

Rich

the steering shaft from the steering wheel to the steering box?

go to the junkyard. be mindful that you will need to re-align the steering wheel to the front end if you replace this. one bolt on the back at the firewall, one bolt on the front by the steering box, take out the bolts, and pry it off by wedging a straight cro-bar (if it breaks free you don't want it to come lose and damage the hood or you) between the shaft and the box or firewall, and pull it away. it collapses to fit.

i know i can get one at the junk yard.....my question was where can i get a NEW one.

do i have to remove the whole steering colum or can i replace it without moving the whole colum?

as stated above you can remove it via firewall and steering pump. meaning without removing steering column. I don't like to remove these without replacing the column too...it's too much hassle to re-align it.

why do you need a NEW one? matter of fact, how the heck are ya having problems with your current one? If i may ask

as stated above you can remove it via firewall and steering pump. meaning without removing steering column. I don't like to remove these without replacing the column too...it's too much hassle to re-align it.

why do you need a NEW one? matter of fact, how the heck are ya having problems with your current one? If i may ask

i found a new one, not a bad price on it. thanks for the info on the removal. i wanted a new one so it would last, this is going in my sisters truck i want it as safe as possible, the u joints on the current one are shot and it is not safe.

thanks for the help :cheers:

i know i can get one at the junk yard.....my question was where can i get a NEW one.

Two companies make them. One is (IIRC) named Flaming River. The other company is located in Norfolk, Connecticut, they advertise in the back of many of the 4WD magazines ... and I'm drawing a total blank on their name.