My Grandfathers Comanche

Your wheels were used on the 84-86 model XJs and MJs only. And the red stripe doesn't show up in any of my MJ manuals, so maybe it was GrandDad installed. Longbeds rule!    8)

I concur longbeds do rule. To me the short beds look unfinished. Even the family Silverado looks goofy with a short bed. I'm probably going to have a local vinyl shop recreate the side stripes cause I think they're what gives it the 80's cool factor (if that's even a thing lol)

I like your wheels.

Me too. Only 6" width though.................

Are they particularly rare or hard to find? I don't know anything about OEM wheel options. I am planning on keeping them as I want this truck to be as near to stock as possible, and I think they are probably the best looking OEM option. I realize that this is one of the least desired variables of this truck, but 20-30 years down the road stock versions of these truck will probably near impossible to find.

Tire shop was open today so I had them mount up the tires for the rear. So now she is sitting on a usable rear end for the first time in 10 years. I'll have to wait until the weather dries up before I can work on the front as my yard is the about the same consistency as a marsh.

y5YQALV.jpg

EaMbVeP.jpg

She's started to actually look usable again.

Nice looking MJ! Glad to see one saved from rotting and/or going to scrap. Definitely going to follow this thread.

• 2 years later...

Alright for anyone remotely interested here's an update. It's pretty much a no go on this jeep. I ran into some issues getting a title from my grandfathers estate, the front of this truck is completely warped, and at some point some one very horribly welded a new roof onto the cab. All of these issues, as well as the engine presumably being toast made me abandon the project. Between abandoning this and now I bought a few real dumb vehicles, and sank more money than I care to think about into them.

I also went back to college to start working towards welding engineering. I'm almost at the finish line for the first leg of that, and it's got me thinking about future vehicles and such. I've decided that I want a Comanche, just not this particular one.

So where does that leave this Comanche? I'm thinking of loping off the cab and making the bed into a trailer. And whatever rare/usable parts I can get off can contribute towards whatever Comanche I end up with.That way in a sense I still have my grandfathers truck, but without all the work. It'll definitely be some time before I can get to work on making it a trailer, but I already have some crude blueprints drawn up for the project.

Also if anyone knows someone in or around mid-west North Carolina that'd be interested in trading a long-bed for a 73 Honda CB500 let me know.