Attention Oregonians!

ORCA

I hope i spelled that right. :roll:

Anyway, my girlfriend and I are planning on packing up and heading up north, to oregon. This won't happen any sooner than a year from now. My mom lives in Eugene, granpa in Roseburg, and aunt in Coberg. My girlfriend has a brother in Portland also.

We are still debating on where to live and right now it's completley in the air. I would like to attend an automotive/metal working trade school once I'm settled up there, so that will be one determining factor. Another is my girlfriend who would like to eventually become a preschool teacher. Other than that, being around bodies of water is great and offroad/hiking trails wouldn't hurt either ;) The woman won't allow the town to be too small, she still needs her suburban shopping experience. :roll: Yet I'm not much of a big city slicker.

Any recommendations for two 21 year old's? I've been to oregon many times, but really have no clue as to where I would like to live. Maybe Hillsboro...Eugene...Corvallis? Any incite will help tremendously.

Go Ducks! :cheers:

i live in eugene. if you want choices of things to do, city wise, portland has more options, but traffic and people keep you busy. from eugene everything is within a couple of hours. there are smaller towns around. depends on your needs. :D

My wife and I moved to Salem, OR 2 years ago and we like it a lot. We moved from Boston so there is not a shopping in Salem for her. But its an easy drive to Portland compared to Boston or any city in Cali. (I drive from Salem to Portland every day for work) The community college here http://www.chemeketa.edu/ has some good metal working courses but not a quick cert program as far as I know. And there are quite a few programs for Preschool certs again Chemeketa and I think the other is Fox University? All that being said there is a good chance we will move to Portland once she is finished with school in Salem. Hillsboro is closest to Tillamook State Forest which is supposedly the best wheeling in the state... hopefully I will know for myself within the month. Good luck with a decision.

My wife and I moved to Salem, OR 2 years ago and we like it a lot. We moved from Boston so there is not a shopping in Salem for her. But its an easy drive to Portland compared to Boston or any city in Cali. (I drive from Salem to Portland every day for work) The community college here http://www.chemeketa.edu/ has some good metal working courses but not a quick cert program as far as I know. And there are quite a few programs for Preschool certs again Chemeketa and I think the other is Fox University? All that being said there is a good chance we will move to Portland once she is finished with school in Salem. Hillsboro is closest to Tillamook State Forest which is supposedly the best wheeling in the state... hopefully I will know for myself within the month. Good luck with a decision.

wow, thanks for the input! Thank really helps out alot. Do you attend Chemeketa? Do you know if they have any type of automotive/fabrication cert's? Sounds like a great little school. :cheers:

BTW, what do u do for a living?

alright well if you want to go to an automotive school then your best bet would be medford if you want a good location and neighborhood cuz the only school like that is in Klamath falls and you could go there.. :D it would be nice to have another manche man in medford!!

Bend.

Bend Bend Bend.

I would like to attend an automotive/metal working trade school once I'm settled up there, so that will be one determining factor.

COCC's Redmond campus has a great metal working program, however I feel the automotive program is severily lacking. I took 6 months of the metal classes and it couldn't have gone better. I stopped that run though because my field of interest had shifted.

Other than that, being around bodies of water is great and offroad/hiking trails wouldn't hurt either ;)

4068 lakes with 458000 trails to hike, mountain bike, or drive on. Well, maybe that's an exaguration, but Bend is the place for all things outdoors.

The woman won't allow the town to be too small, she still needs her suburban shopping experience. :roll: Yet I'm not much of a big city slicker.

72000 in town, 100000 total within the extra 3 miles around the borders of town. Good shopping, and our main shopping area, The Old Mill District, is getting nice and big. Bend downtown is probably the best downtown I've ever been to. It's very open, beautiful, and not too busy.

Maybe Hillsboro...Eugene...Corvallis?

IMHO, choosing what weather you want is going to be a huge factor. Those towns are rain towns. If you love the rain, those are the places to go. If you can handle snow and the desert, then I highly recommend Bend. The more I travel, the more I realize, it's one of the nicest places I've ever been, and I couldn't be happier that I get to enjoy the experience of living here.

Go Ducks! :cheers:

Go Beavs! :cheers:

I have only done a small engine repair class through Chemeketa. I do not know what Certs they offer. I have friends that are taking more classes there getting ready to transfer to a 4 year program where they can finish out there engineering degree. I am a Electrical Engineer. I have nothing bad/good to say about any other cites in Oregon but do not know them well. I will say Bend has been a great place to visit and I would consider living there if it wasn't so far from an airport that had reasonable flights.

That's not China Hat your on. Maybe Tumalo creek west of town. Hard to tell since all them roads around Bend are mostly red dirt and slick as snot when wet.

I've got alot of spots out China Hat I run, but yeah this is the Tumalo Creek area which is 5 minutes or less from my school.

You seem to know the area?

hey that looks like some alright wheelin out there?? any chance of us maybe meetin up to do some out there...i get my liscense in august... :oops:

Let's try to not threadjack, but anyone that wants to run up here, I'm pretty much always ready to go with one truck or another!

Trails in August are pretty dusty, but if we get up in elevation enough, it'll be alright. Might even find some snow!