2 degree pinion angle

I have a 1990 MJ Pioneer 4.0 AW4 2WD with a dana 35 in back, bone stock right now, and I want to put the lift and tires I have on it soon, like this weekend, RE 5.5 lift kit. I will be putting BF Goodrich 32/11.5-15's on it. They say set the pinion angle to 2 degrees. I am not putting in a transfer case or doing the 4x4 conversion at this time. Can I still do this lift and do the conversion at later time? Can I set it at 2 degrees and expect everything to be fine or will I run into problems? I am hoping someone out there has done this or knows someone that has. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you all, one great club!!!

deeswalker

Yes, you can lift a 2wd just the same as a 4wd. For that much lift, I highly recommend replacing the U-joints in the rear d-shaft. U-joints are very sensitive about changes in their operating angles and old ones can cause vibrations regardless of the angle you set.

Thank you both for your replies. The thing is I am short on cash right now and just want to get the truck up there and start saving for the axles and transfer case. I have the time and want to start work on it.

Thank you Pete for the suggestion on the u-joints, will run out and buy one.

Any suggestions on the shocks length I should use, would 27' extended x 17' collapsed work for the front? What about the rear? Think I should take measurements first?

deeswalker

Any suggestions on the shocks length I should use, would 27' extended x 17' collapsed work for the front? What about the rear? Think I should take measurements first?

deeswalker

87 gives good advice!!! Cycle suspension and take measurements!!

Do it once, do it right. (YES, this is experience talking :oops: :eek: )

CW

Yes 87 does give good advice. I have been lurking for the past 4-5 years and have been gleaning knowledge. I love what Pete has been doing with the forums and his projects and all the good advice he put out there. Pong is also a good source of knowledge as well as a lot of folks in this forum. I am thankful we have a place to go to find information as well as share information on our MJ's.

deeswalker

deeswalker

87 gives good advice!!! Cycle suspension and take measurements!!

Do it once, do it right. (YES, this is experience talking :oops: :eek: )

CW

same here, that's why I've got shocks 2" too short in the front.