need wireing/fuse panel help

Hello, I've got a problem, that's got me pulling all my hair out, trying to figure out and fix. On mine, the PO , well, I don't know WHAT the PO did. Now, my blinkers don't work, windshield wipers, horn, lighter, either. when I put on the brakes, the blinker indicator lights, on the dash light up. Interior lights don't work at all, unless you turn the headlight knob all the way to the left.

Anyone have any Ideas about this "Gem" of a problem?

I'm fixing to take the fuse panel out, clean it(with a wire brush, and contact cleaner), check to see what the wires look like behind there, put it back in. I know this won't fix the wireing mix up, but, maybe it will help my wiper/blinker problem......................

John

First try pulling the chime alarm module. It's located on the left side of your fuse panel, about a 1"x2" black (or blue) plastic box. When it goes bad, all kinds of weird electrical problems can occur since they have so many inputs.

John, I notice that you have a 5-speed. A common problem with the manual trannies in the XJs and MJs is that, if the clutch master cylinder leaks, the fluid runs back along the operating rod, drips onto the fuse panel, and corrodes everything. It really makes quite a mess. That may be what happened to yours. If so, you're probably going to be in the market for a replacement fuse panel, and maybe some rewiring.

It has been suggested that this is a good reason to use silicone brake fluid in the clutch system. The stuff is expensive but the clutch doesn't use much, and the silicone won't corrode the electrical contacts if it drips onto them. I didn't know that - I run silicone in my clutch because I run it in the brakes and I have it.

johngw43, eagle is on the mark w/ fluid contamination causing problems. That can be resolved temporaly/quickly w/ a cleaning from a quality brake cleaner, not carb cleaner. the terminals in the fuse panel can be "tweaked" w/ a pick to make the connection tighter. But, the main issue after cleaning is to determine what the "common denominator" is. in other words, do any of your problems arise from the same fuse/circuit ? I will check my manuals tonight & get back to you asap.

mjcanoe