say what!! a prerunner Comanche!!!

if you have to ask, you can't afford it.

seriously though, look into the JeepSpeed series; its a desert race series for the (somewhat) budget minded and is focused on the XJ and MJ platform.

All-out prerunner? strip an MJ down to the absolute bare minumum, and start throwing handfuls of blank checks and credit cards at it.

The cost of a prerunner build will be roughly the same as building a wheeler. All the lift parts are the same between 2wd and 4wd, as well as tires and wheels. Then beyond that the rest of the look is up to you. Wide fiberglass fenders, roll cage/roll bar, suspension seats and harness... Just depends on what you want. I thought about doing this same thing because I never thought Id find a 4wd donor I could afford, but one fell in my lap, so I converted to 4wd and have been building much more conservatively. I imagined a lift kit, spring over in rear, wider tires in back, narrower in front, with custom bumpers (2wd truck example).

I don't consider the trucks posted above as Prerunners. They are more like Trophy trucks.... all out build compared to mostly stockish capable runner.

i can see that, especially since the term 'prerunner' is so open for interpretation. heck, some teams used to use rental SUVs to prerun their courses. a prerunner can be whatever you want. most agree however, that a prerunner has to be a street legal vehicle that can pre run a baja course at a decent speed, so supple suspension is a must, unless youre ok with being limited to 25mph. with speed comes a cage. tire size, fiberglass bedsides, lightbars, etc are up to the builder.

so yea, it can be whatever you want it to be.