89 comanche eliminator

Hi I posted this in the pub as well, sorry for duplicate posts, I'm new to the forum.
I have recently bought a 89 Comanche eliminator 4.0 5 speed swb 2wd
It is basically rust free and got it for $900 not running. towed 3 hours to get it home.
It was a father son project and they put in a rebuilt motor with 0 miles and left the broken one in the bed.
He said all it needed was an ecm but it didn't... I got home and put in a battery, key lock cylinder (he had no keys) and a cps and fired right up :banana:
had to tinker with distributor (was off by a tooth) and swap plug wires to make it run good. (PO had them wired to wrong cylinders :doh:).
The ac was rigged to a switch under the hood and there were cut wires everywhere as well as emission hoses.
I pulled emissions hoses and capped them off and working on wiring still.

The problem is my speedo and rpm gauge do not work as well as turn signals.
The tach works but its way off (idles under 0 but revs up when I push the pedal)
any help on where to start? I thought of just swapping in a new cluster but wasn't sure if that would fix the problem as the other gauges work.
O ya and I have no neutral safety switch? if I turn the key while in first gear it will try to start and jump forward.

any help is appreciated
 I know everyone likes pictures so I will get some up as soon as I can
. :MJ 1: .

Most old manual vehicles will jump forward if you try to start it in first, just don't do it, or hold the clutch down. You may need a new speedometer cable, the Speedo is mechanical so a busted cable is about the only thing that will make it not work.

As for your signals, check your turn signal flasher, its on the fuse box , if your hazards work you can swap the two flashers for a quick fix.

ok thanks I will look into it when outta work
I accidentally turned the key too far without my foot on the clutch and didn't expect it to try to start, didn't know if there was a switch in there to stop that but I'm not too worried about it.
I'm not sure if hazard work, will check that out...

• 2 weeks later...

ended up needing a new switch for the signals and bulbs as well as a socket, got that all fixed and hazards do work as well....horn doesn't but oh well.
I still have to check speedo, I didn't see anything wrong with cable but it was a little dark as well as I work 9-6 everyday.

and I know everybody loves some pics so here you have em :thumbsup:

p.s. the xj in the back is mine too, I put it in the pic for fun just don't mind my little ford anal probe :rotfl2: