Trans Swap

I know that this has probably been covered more than enough times, but i'm new here and haven't found the answer yet. Recently i bought an 88 Comanche 5 speed, the previous owners didn't treat the transmission very well and now it needs to be replaced, i plan to swap in an ax-15. ive seen on multiple posts that the t-case won't work without an adapter since it has a 21 spline input, but according to Novak some years of the ba 10/5 had a 23 spline output shaft, is this wrong? if not what years had the 23 spline output the 88 and first half of the 89s?  Thanks in advance and if i got anything wrong please correct me.

Your best bet is to mate the same era/years tranny with the same era/years t-case. Renix to Renix or HO to HO.  A helluva lot easier.

<90 = 21 spline

>91 = 23 spline

BA/10's did not come with the 23 spline because they were all phased out after 89, AFAIK.  I have a 94 AW4 tranny in my 88, I got a 93 t-case and front shaft (because the AW4 is longer than the BA-10 it replaced) from a junkyard for $40...it all bolted right up. 

That's what I thought, but I figured I would check since it was on Novak and if it was true it would save me about $100. And yeah that's kinda what I thought, but I'm a broke college kid trying to save some money lol.

The tcase switched from 21 to 23 in mid-89 when the BA 10 was discontinued for the AX15.

If you are changing to an AX15, then get one from a 94+ XJ. These came with the external slave. The BA10 and 1st generation AX15 (89-93) used internal slave cylinders. It is not a question of "if" the slave cylinder will break, but "when" it break.

The tcase switched from 21 to 23 in mid-89 when the BA 10 was discontinued for the AX15. If you are changing to an AX15, then get one from a 94+ XJ. These came with the external slave. The BA10 and 1st generation AX15 (89-93) used internal slave cylinders. It is not a question of "if" the slave cylinder will break, but "when" it break.

I disagree with this, my 90 still had the 21 spline input gear on it, it was an automatic, but it was 21 spline.   Maybe the manual trans versions changed in mid-89.   From what I found when looking for a 23 spline gear, there were 21 spline cases and 23 spline cases, the 23 spline went from a small bearing to a large bearing some time around 93-94.   And all of the t-cases were available with different length input gears.    I managed to find a guy in Wisconsin that specialized in trans/tcases that had hundreds of input gears on the shelf, he sold me the one I needed for $50.