BajaBeater Project - 1987 MJ 4X4

Just recently bought this:

150589636-M.jpg150589651-M.jpg

The deal was pretty good (@$3K), so I went for it just to have a BajaBeater while I work on a dream vehicle. I've got close to a month to get it in shape for the Baja500, then I be stylin, big time!

It has four (count them four) different colors on the body panels (sort of an ad hoc camo motif), but we could find no signs of rust anywhere (gotta love these California vehicles). There's a fair amount of good after-market suspension mods (Rusty springs in the rear, 4" Full Traction lift in the front, D44 in the rear from the Metric Ton option, SkyJacker shocks, JKS adjustable track bar) and a new clutch/pressure/flywheel. Very basic in-line 6 high torque motor (155# ± 5 in all six cylinders), a 5 speed trans/2 speed transfer case, and I've ordered a copy of the Haynes manual in Spanish.

The camper is @15 years old, but in good shape (needs some new screens, of course, but all the appliances including the beer fridge work).

Can I get a BullBar and light rack in time? And a new bumper/tow hook combo for the rear? Maybe, but a race radio and a hardwired GPS mount are must-dos. Any and all other suggestions gratefully accepted.

people have their opinions...mine is that rusty's sucks, i've had 4.5" rusty's leaf packs break literally in half.

i buy rough country suspension components exclusively...perhaps because i already have the sticker on my window :nuts: but they ride real nice and last a long time

I'm curious why your sig line is down on Rustys. The seller spoke pretty highly of them, but I'm new to Jeeps and have no personal experience.

I felt some of their work was a little shoddy, and they cheaped out on some things in strange ways. It comes down to personal use and taste. I don't actually buy anything off-the-shelf anymore because nothing would actually fit on my pile because it's been so hacked up.

And I've got some strange opinons on how things should work too.

I felt some of their work was a little shoddy, and they cheaped out on some things in strange ways. It comes down to personal use and taste. I don't actually buy anything off-the-shelf anymore because nothing would actually fit on my pile because it's been so hacked up.

And I've got some strange opinons on how things should work too.

Okay, thanks. Since mine already has them, I'll just keep an eye on things.