Jump to content

"Iron Jacket" - '92 4.0HO 5 spd, JK axles


VolsJK
 Share

Recommended Posts

Reserving some space for my build thread. It's coming along pretty well. I've been updating my other thread but decided to make a more formal build thread once it's all said and done (well, you know what I mean :D). Going to reserve the first 7 or so posts for future editing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well here's an update. Got a lot of the rear axle work completed besides a dang caliper bracket that I thought was included with the new caliper :(. Of course there are brake lines to be run and shock mounts and shocks, but we will do that after everything else is done, flex it to check for shock and bump stop length, etc.

 

Ready to weld

na8e3ege.jpg

 

Custom made spring perches, also gusseted the ends

ujametaj.jpg

eqe4u6e4.jpg

 

Artec truss

u3y2e4ab.jpg

 

Perches

yvaduha8.jpg

 

Paint

3ane4u4e.jpg

 

Custom U bolt delete plates

vuty6ejy.jpg

 

Bolted up!

dajarutu.jpg

a4usu4u6.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Update added to post #2 :)

 

Well here's an update. Got a lot of the rear axle work completed besides a dang caliper bracket that I thought was included with the new caliper :(. Of course there are brake lines to be run and shock mounts and shocks, but we will do that after everything else is done, flex it to check for shock and bump stop length, etc.

 

Ready to weld

na8e3ege.jpg

 

Custom made spring perches, also gusseted the ends

ujametaj.jpg

eqe4u6e4.jpg

 

Artec truss

u3y2e4ab.jpg

 

Perches

yvaduha8.jpg

 

Paint

3ane4u4e.jpg

 

Custom U bolt delete plates

vuty6ejy.jpg

 

Bolted up!

dajarutu.jpg

a4usu4u6.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also welded up the Blue Torch Fab diff cover and need to throw the Adam's Driveshaft in. I'll get some pictures tonight.

 

Should get it rolling at least tonight even without the caliper brackets (will take rotors off), going to turn it around in the shop to start tackling the front end which will be much easier to tackle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The only update I have tonight is that I got a concussion from a ratchet to the top of the nose and some concrete to the back of the head, happened last night but felt it today... Not feeling very good ha.

Sprinkle some cement powder on ya wheat bix and harden up old mate..lol Looking good, great progress..... :thumbsup:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

The only update I have tonight is that I got a concussion from a ratchet to the top of the nose and some concrete to the back of the head, happened last night but felt it today... Not feeling very good ha.

Sprinkle some cement powder on ya wheat bix and harden up old mate..lol Looking good, great progress..... :thumbsup:
Thanks, Frumunda! (Yeah that's my new nickname for you)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

TGIF Update:

 

Well after getting it turned around on Tuesday with: vise gripped rear brake line, weak front brakes, a 5 gallon bucket for a seat, no transfer case lever installedand no shocks or diff fluid (only had it in gear going straight forward and backward so the LSD wouldn't engage, turned it with man power lol) .... we got to tearing out the front axle.

 

Let me just preface this with saying how glad I am to not live any further north than KY. There is plenty of evidence that the Ohio Department of Transportation did their job properly during the winter time! Coil spring perches, passenger side UCA mount, and track bar frame side bracket were all not too far from being gone. Caliper bolt missing. Just some good fun stuff.

 

Took the axle shafts out of it to sell, only broke one hub bolt! Impressive rust on the knuckles. When banging hub out of knuckle, at least a 1/8" layer of knuckle came off as rust! Also, the C on driver side wiggles. Not at the ball joints, where it is attached to the axle tube. Fun stuff!

 

Definitely gonna have to move coil perches in on the JK axle roughly 2" per side and fab up shock mount. Should be an easy cut of the truss and reweld. Probably going to order an Adam's driveshaft for the front as well, but that can come later.

 

Blue torch Fab DIY cover. (Have both)

-primed, Rustoleum hammered silver first coat for texture, Rustoleum metallic for color. Going to look awesome when it dries.

 

enaha2yp.jpg

 

amabymy8.jpg

 

tusu3ype.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

It's been 2 weeks, and not much done. We have decided to go ahead and custom 3 link the front end... 2"x0.25 DOM with currie joints (already had them), custom crossmember, etc. Looking forward to be done with this suspension work. It's getting frustrating to say the least.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...