No timing mark?

I have an 88 2.5l manche and I think the timing may be off so I pulled the cover and there is no timing mark on the cam sprocket, has anyone else had this problem? . . . I can't figure it out PLEASE HELP!

I believe the timing chain may have slipped, correct me if I am wrong but the computer only controls the ignition timing not the chain. There are supposed to be 20 timing chain pins in between the two marks on the sprockets but I can only find one mark on the crank sprocket and none on the cam sprocket. Am I making sense?

Generally speaking you allign these. Cam pointing down, Crank pointing up.

In other words, point them at each other. What you need to know is if your on a compression stroke and which piston is at TDC.

I would pick up a manuel and read thouroughly.

CW

It may be hard to see, but there's a small dot on the cam sprocket and either another dot or a "^" on the crank sprocket. At TDC, they do NOT line up. The crank mark should be at 12:00, and the cam mark should be roughly at the 10:00 position. They are only used for reference if you remove the chain/sprockets.....you align them to take them back off and put a new set back on oriented the same way, and count pins between the first pin off the right side of the cam sprocket to the 6:00 position on the crank sprocket. There must be 20 pins or else the valve timing is off. (The cam sprocket has a dowel pin hole that lines up with a dowel in the front of the cam, and the crank sprocket is keyed, so you really can't mess that up anyway).

Make sure the tensioner isn't worn out. If it is, it's possible for the chain to skip a tooth (although not likely).

Here's a pic of my old set, and you can see the timing marks before I removed the set, tensioner removed:

Jeff

Image Not Found