Johns Questions

Ole Pete, you here?

I found a Cherokee Laredo, at a near-by junk yard. For my steering problem, a friend at work looked at my MJ, and saw that I need a "Tie Rod end", or "Ball Socket", or" drag bar/socket" I don't know what you call it, but at "Auto Zone", they call it a "Tie Rod" end (inner).

Well, I took off work early, went to the small, near-by junk yard, where that Cherokee I knew about is at. well, I tried everything to get that dang part off that Cherokee, and could'nt get it! It was'nt a wasted trip, cause I did get me a new R.V. mirror, since mine was cracked, scoped out a few other things that I'll get this weekend also.

But, I remember you ( I think you told me) told me that MJ's, and Cherokee part's interchange. Tommorrow, after work. I'll go get the part from Auto-Zone, like I should have done to begin with. I was trying to save a few buck's.

Just wanted to make sure that the part's will interchange.

Especially since this weekend (or so) I'm going to get the blower motor out of it also, and probaly, the fuse panel. there's something else I wanted to talk to you about. ( I hope I'm not bothering you with all this, I am in need of a "mentor" ha ha.) :roll:

Well, I took off work early, went to the small, near-by junk yard, where that Cherokee I knew about is at. well, I tried everything to get that dang part off that Cherokee, and could'nt get it! It was'nt a wasted trip, cause I did get me a new R.V. mirror, since mine was cracked, scoped out a few other things that I'll get this weekend also.

But, I remember you ( I think you told me) told me that MJ's, and Cherokee part's interchange. Tommorrow, after work. I'll go get the part from Auto-Zone, like I should have done to begin with. I was trying to save a few buck's.

Just wanted to make sure that the part's will interchange.

Especially since this weekend (or so) I'm going to get the blower motor out of it also, and probaly, the fuse panel. there's something else I wanted to talk to you about. ( I hope I'm not bothering you with all this, I am in need of a "mentor" ha ha.) :roll:

you have to use some excessive force to get the tierods off sometimes.

new is the way to go.

in regards to cherokee parts interchanging, anything from the front seats forward body-wise, and mechanically/electronically (wires, not components) the same as long as it's the same engine (i.e. 4.0 parts interchange with 4.0's, 2.5's with 2.5's). front axles are interchangeable between all of them, but watch out and get one with the same gear ratio as your rear if you ever need one.

try cleaning it with a very small file or scraper. it could be just a bad connection there. if that doesn't work, then disconnect the battery, remove the two screws holding the fuse panel to the firewall, pull it out far enough to look behind it, and clean with a small pipe-cleaner style wire brush (so you can get in all the spots

yeah, I got the top nut off, and the one on the "sleeve" off, or loose anyway. the main problem was that all the wheels are off the xj, and that part is down, almost into the dirt. I was having alittle trouble with it, and it's hot here in Ga. so, that 18.95 one at Auto Zone, was begining to look pretty good!

Ok, when I pull out the fuse panel, the wire's going into the back of it, are they like wire's that plug into the rear of the panel, or, are they wired straight into the "board"? The one at the junk yard, matches it exactly. I was asking, tring to figure out if I could just unplug one, and plug in the good one, In other word's, Easy/simple job, or kinda hard, easier to just clean the one I have, job?!!!

I'm a welder, certified in all types of welding(cept under water welding), and have been welding for 21 year's, working shutdown's in Power Plant's, and paper mill's, BUT !,, I can't wire up a light socket! an outlet, and expect ya houe to burn! so, All these wiring problem's are killin me! Give me something to weld! ha ha

Ok, when I pull out the fuse panel, the wire's going into the back of it, are they like wire's that plug into the rear of the panel, or, are they wired straight into the "board"? The one at the junk yard, matches it exactly. I was asking, tring to figure out if I could just unplug one, and plug in the good one, In other word's, Easy/simple job, or kinda hard, easier to just clean the one I have, job?!!!

I'm a welder, certified in all types of welding(cept under water welding), and have been welding for 21 year's, working shutdown's in Power Plant's, and paper mill's, BUT !,, I can't wire up a light socket! an outlet, and expect ya houe to burn! so, All these wiring problem's are killin me! Give me something to weld! ha ha

the fuse connectors ARE the plugins...not an easy job, and you don't wanna go chopping all the wires out...you want to do 1 at a time and switch it to the new board.

the point of switching it out is to get new fuse connectors on the end...

and they are all identical, except for wiring colors...which is why you need one from the same year to make sure it will be correct.

try cleaning before you do a new one

I agree with JeepcoMJ. Don't waste time and effort on a used tie rod end. You would (and probably will, if you continue) be amazed at how little looseness in a tie rod end makes the steering feel really horrible. Unless it's a brand new vehicle that's in the yard due to a collision, buying junkyard tie rod ends is an exercise in futility.

Eagle, ok, thanks. That's what I get for trying to save a dollar, the knowledge to know not to do that crap again!

I'm just enjoying learning all these things from yall, and at the same time, it's become a project/hobby!

Thanks again !( I really don't see a whole lot of thanks :bowdown: , for help given, in these forums, what's up with that people? :headpop: )

Where you can save money is by pulling the entire tie rod(ends & sleeve), and using it as a trail spare. You can put new ends on it and carry it with you so when you bend yours on the trail its an easy swap.

ok my friends,

I replaced the inner tie rod end, and I will have to say, it now drives like a caddy! I did end up getting a new one from Auto Zone, for about 20 bucks.

Glad I went ahead and did it!!!! jamminz.gif