speedo problems

i did a gauge swap on my mj, full gauges from an 89 cherokee into my 88 comanche. my speedo never worked until i replaced the gear in the tcase because it was stripped, ever since that my needle jumps every once in a while and i can hear it clicking behind the cluster.

suggestions?

yup, your speedo cable is binding.

two scenarios..well, 3.

1. you had one style of speedo cable clip with your old cluster and switched to the different style cluster..and now your speedo cable isn't locking in place

2. you have a cruise control cable and it's binding at the cruise control piece

3. it's cockeyed or needs lube and is binding.

4. (there's a fourth one?!) your speedo gear isn't centered correctly (due to the offset on the np231 speedo gear assy's)

NEVER pb blast or wd40 a cable you are using...it's a temporary lubricant.

go to the parts store and ask for a graphite cable lube for your speedometer. the graphite lube is designed for that and well worth it. check for binding first, and for too tight of bends.

check everything i suggested in my last post before you decide the cable it at fault (could be that you put in the wrong style speedometer, or binding speedo gear) but do the graphite lube just in case...which to do so, you will disconnect the gauge cluster and squirt the cable lube into it, or remove the cable entirely (best option for perfect functioning) and do it while spinning the inner cable around