98XJ Junk getting swapped in, MJ will stay M/T, XJ is A/T

I have the wiring and engine sourced out already. All the wiring from the headlights to tail lights, and everything in between will be getting swapped, which means I'm going to OBDII in the MJ. Engine will be swapped, but I still plan on using my AX-15 I have sitting in the garage.

So the one thing I'm wondering about, is will I have to get a new ECU, other than the auto one from the 98, get the 98's ECU flashed (its out of an automatic, and I want to use a manual tranny), or will the ECU not really care about whats going on with the tranny?

May have an issue with the neutral safety switch. I assume you are going to use the whole 98 engine harness? What year is your MJ? There may also be a fuel pressure difference, and what about the O2 sensor feedback?

I'm guessing there will be some bugs, but anything can be worked out.

Just was talkin to a guy in class that used a donor Ram for it's Hemi , RFE tranny and electricals to install in a TJ. Said it was just stupid fast.

I'm not sure what controls the tranny in the newer XJs with OBD II. I think i'd go ahead and try it. If you have problems, ask a dealer if they can flash it to tell it it's now a manual tranny.

Remember that you'll need a new flywheel if your MJ is a Renix. I don't know if the 91-95 flywheels are the same as the 97+ with regard to the tooth pattern for the CPS.

Just was talkin to a guy in class that used a donor Ram for it's Hemi , RFE tranny and electricals to install in a TJ. Said it was just stupid fast.

HEMI! :drool:

When I get the money, my comanche will have one. It weighs less than 60lbs heavier than the 4.0L. I want to swap in the motor, auto tranny and mate it up to a Rubicon transfer case and axels. :D

To be more specific, nothing of the comanche's current wiring will exist anymore. It's current engine and tranny, as well as axles are going, as well as everything on the interior.

The interior (dash, seats, headliner, etc) and engine, as well as electrical is all getting donated to my 88 MJ from a 98 XJ. The axles will be full width dana 44's out of a FSJ, or quite possibly some full width Dana 60s, with high pinion, kingpin front, and will be getting 37" Military tires and rims put on them.

The entire MJ will be utilizing the OBDII electrical, and engine for the added power. I'll be upgrading the intake to a 99 WJ intake and boring the throttle body out a few MM's. It will also be getting the Edge chip, and a cold air intake. It will also have the XJ's fuel pump and a custom aluminum fuel cell housing the stock pump, and it will fill from the stock location (what DOT doesn't know can't hurt them).

Yea, I realize I'm crazy, but for the price I can get the axles and tires, as well as the donor vehicle for, I'd say it's well within an average budget that most people would spend on upgrading most of their current stuff with new nuts, bolts, standard engine upgrades, and new axle shafts...

It will be quite a project, and I probably won't get much of it accomplished until I finish building my sister's YJ for her work site rig.