whining noise

hey guys, in have a 87 manche with the 4.0, automatic, 2wd. I'm getting this whining sound from the engine bay. i first started hearing the noise when i started the truck on cold mornings, but now its a constant whining and it gets louder when i turn. now my question is do i replace the power steering pump or the lines?

Sure your wife isn't up under the hood? I get that whining sound whenever she does that......... :D

Seriously, pull the power steering pump filler cap, check for correct level, then turn from stop-to-stop and check your fluid for bubbles and a milky color. Continue until the fluid becomes clear. If not, you could have a stuck pressure relief valve in the back of the pump. Pull the hex cap, remove the valve and clean up the piston. Try a fluid change, bleed the system well by going stop-to-stop first. If none of this works, you'll probably need a new or rebuilt pump.

Guess I worded that unclear. Fill to proper level, replace cap, warm up engine, turn side-to-side w/o going hard into the stops, return to center position, shut off engine, then check fluid. Should be clear, not milky. Milky means air is in the system. Repeat above until clear. If it doesn't clear, then syphon out old fluid, pull & clean pressure relief valve, add correct fluid to proper level, and start bleeding procedure again, adding fluid when necessary. If fluid never becomes clear, the pump is most likely shot.