gauge cluster swap question

Hi guys I already have dirty hands and I realized that I don't know what I am doing lol. So I need answers fast! :)

Where is the oil sending thing I have to replace? Is it right under the oil filter? Cause thats where I think it is.

And where is the coolant sending unit that I have to replace? That I have no clue.

this is on a 4.0L

Thanks!

its an 89 4.0l

I got the gauges in and the oil unit in.. The tach works, I assume the mph works though I havent driven it yet. Not sure if the oil gauge works as I havent let it really warm up yet. Battery gauge is reading correctly too.

My gas gauge is not reading right, it shows WAAAAY past full and there is only a 1/4 tank in it, do I need to adjust something or just go fill my tank?

Still havent found the coolant sending unit. :cry:

coolant is somewhere on the head...probably at one of the corners of the head either front or back.

idk about the gas gauge...it worked on my truck when i plugged it into my trucks and i've got a 2.8, it worked right there, and on the 4.0

CTS is on the back of the head, drivers side, near the firewall.

It's a little brass jobby, has one wire (brown on my 87) going to it.

Sounds like you got the cluster from an HO rig, as far as my knowledge is chryco changed the polarity of the gas guage, so you'd have to replace the sending unit to make the gauge work right. You might be able to swap the old gauge into your cluster, don't know, never tried.

not from an HO...he got it from me and it came outta a 89 or 90 cherokee 4.0. everything worked on with it plugged to my 2.8 and to my bro's 4.0. a little secret for y'all. the sending units...they're the same between the 2.8 and early 4.0's :eek:

Well, I found the temp sensor and swapped it... F#ck it, only half my gauges work properly, I am reverting back to the dummy unit and I will just buy an a-pillar and gauges later.

Gas gauge is wack, coolant temp don't work, oil pressure don't work. Oh and the odometer doesnt work... but thats probably my fault lol.

MPH works, RPM works, and voltage works.

So thanks for your help, unfortnately all I did today was learn.

Mitch, Temp sensor unit/switch is located @ left rear of cylinder head. Drivers side lookiing @ it from the frt.,past the cyl. head bolt which on your's came with a ground strap. 1/2 " deep well socket works. Oil sensor unit/ switch is behind & down a little from o/f attached to a 90 degree fitting. As mentioned, sensor (for guage)is larger then sender(for lamp), but will fit if pointed same angle as OEM,can adjust , but may need thread sealer,teflon tape, etc.

mjcanoe