Multiple Keys?

I knew there was a tool, but I'm enough of a tool to get the job down once.  Scratch that - twice, now...  I will probably buy one if I have to do it again.  :)

With the key not in "lock", the tumblers are kept from moving too far by the barrel that surrounds them.  For the key to come out, there has to be a lot of slop either between the tumblers and barrel, or between the key and the tumblers.  Or both.   Old ignitions usually wear both to the point that the key can be inserted and removed at will, and eventually, the tumblers will wear to the point that you don't even need a key.   Having a key with a profile that's fairly gentle, with no large and narrow points makes it happen faster.   Having one key that's cut a little deeper from both side would also help with removal, but also make the tumblers catch and drag a bit when you use that key, which causes more wear, and makes it even easier to just yank the key...     

I assumed that to be the case, but if anything the slightly narrower key turns ever so slightly more smoothly than the other one. Maybe it's a combination of wear and irregular cutting. Or maybe the narrow key isn't narrow, but the other one is fat, which is why it won't pull out of a slightly worn cylinder? Really I don't care all that much, so long as I can still turn the key!