Headlight switch

Any tips on how to change the headlight switch without tearing the dash apart? I got the plunger out and screwed it loose, I then figured I could just drop it dowm and replace it, it seems the wires are so short it won't move around.

You need to unplug the connector from the top. If you pull the dash bezel off, you can sort of get to it from below the gauge cluster and/or thru the hole where the fog light rocker switch would be (or is, if you have factory fogs). In addition to the connector, there is a small pigtail ground wire hooked to the back of the switch you have to pull off.

Jeff

It's a PITA because my dad looked at it when we bought the truck, the PO through it in as spare parts that he said he just had not had time to install. We know better now I think my dad would rather replace the parking brake cable than that switch.

Anyway has anyone ever pulled the gauge cluster out to gain access or is that what you were talking about doing?

You don't *have* to pull the cluster, but if you do you can get to the top of the switch somewhat better. I'm talking about just pulling the bezel around the cluster.

If you take off the lower dash kickpanel thingy, you can get a good view of the switch, and be able to get your hand in behind/above it to pull the connector.

Jeff

Being a guy with large hands this turned out to be an impossibility for me, besides the fact that the ground connection would have been impossible to deal with as it has the safety clip thingy so it doesn't just come off. So I made it easy, and cut the front of the dash a square large enough for the switch to get past using the new switch as a template, the old switch just came out plugged in the new switch easily, put it back in and made a metal panel that covers the hole and the switch mounts to, easy and looks just fine. Removing the lower panel and the instrument panel did not help at all for me, the still isn't much access and the wires are very short so the switch moves very little when connected.