Tail Light Wiring Diagram

I bought a new harness for my comanche, and its different than my factory one. only thing I can think of is my jeep doesn't have factory trailer wiring and the harness does. Does anyone have a diagram of both harnesses so I could merge the two?

The only difference should be between Renix and HO MJ's where I believe they simply have a different connector. So far as I know, which may not be far at all, any trailer harness had to be spliced into the factory harness. Can u post details of the truck you got the harness from and the truck u want to put it into? perhaps a pic? also you can find the info u need here: http://comancheclub.com/topic/19339-trailer-wiring-for-4-wire-and-6-pole-receiver/?hl=trailer+wiring

There's your problem, Chrysler changed the plug for the tail light harness  when they switched to the HO. You should be able to swap the plug on the rear harness side if you like or someone may sell you a tail light harness with the correct plug. There is a 91 in my local JY now. If you want I can snatch either the whole harness or just the plug for the tail light side the next time I'm there. PM me if you want to go that route.

as long as the color codes are the same between the years, i can swap them. i've already got the bed off and ready to install my straight one. and the donor wasnt factory trailer wiring. it was a really clean and good wiring job.

for future reference,

HO tail light wiring:

Black - ground

Brown/Green - back up lights

Blue/Red - running lights (parking)

pink (salmon) - brake & right turn signal

Green - brake & left turn signal

Renix taillight wiring:

Brown: Right turn and brake light
Black: Ground
Blue: Tail (parking) lights
Brown with white tracer: Backup light
Grey with black tracer: Left turn and brake light

so renix to HO plug convertion would go as such:

Black - black

Brown/Green - brown/white

Blue/Red - blue

Pink - brown

Green - grey/black

• 1 year later...

I know this thread is older, but it was a help as far as wiring for me. The colors of the wires matched up just fine, but the connectors were different. I just ended up splicing into the 87 bed harness with the harness that was already on the truck. 

The bed I currently have is from my 87 project MJ. The rear section of the harness that connected to the tail light harness was a 6-pin GM weather pack connector with the 5 wires. The front harness connector from the 87 looks lightly different than what was connected in the cab. 

My truck is an 88, and the rear connector at the tail light end was more of a square-ish connector type. Since the back side of that was already cut into for the "trailer lights" I just connected those and spliced the wires in to the wires after the 87's GM weather pack connector. I would like to eventually make the whole setup more solid. 

The questions I have are. Where the harness than runs from the cab to the back, are the connectors the same 87-88? And I just assumed that they were different? Or are both ends of the connectors different, and I need to figure out "WTF" ?

The main harness to the rear from the 87 is intact and sitting in a box of parts. IF the front harness connector is the same I can/will just swap the intact harness and call it good. Another thought on the matter is, if the connectors in the cab really are different, cut and splice the harness at the rear to keep the GM 6-pin connector? And 3rd, maybe find someone to trade, or buy a correct harness that works?